copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

Post by joe zie » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have a fully opperational linux file system on a dos partition installed as a umsdos
system and would like to copy it to a linux ext2 partition. Is this possible?
I am using loadlin to load linux, I do not want to use lilo.
This is my present partition table:

/dev/hdb5  6   dos 16-bit >=32M    slackware 96
/dev/hdb6  83  Linux native        redhat 4.1
/dev/hdb7  83  Linux native        empty ext2 500meg partition

Linux on hdb5 is running perfectly and I have almost 300Megs on it and I don't want
to load it from scratch.

Thaanks in advance,

copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

Post by nos.. » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

This is exactly what I did.  I copied my umsdos linux system to my
pre-partitioned, pre-formatted ext2 partitions when I got my new hard
drive.  Even have hdb1 as FAT16 while hdb2 and hdb4 are linux native and
hdb3 is linux swap.  Had all my umsdos installation on hda1 along with
Windoze originally.

--
Robert Price
e-mail: bobprice at enteract dot com

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. Installing Netscape from cd-rom.

3. How to access files in ext2 file system in windows(same system)

4. HELP! module st.o in rescue mode

5. umsdos ruins ext2 file system

6. MkLinux on Umax Pulsar 1660 SP?

7. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

8. Phillips CD; Archive SCSI Card

9. Copying files from my WIN 95 System to my Linux System

10. Copy files from Unix system another system

11. BUG in ext2 file-system (2.0.33 kernel): tried to extend a file using lseek

12. Copying files across file systems

13. to copy file from remote file system