help: pppd and setuid-root problem

Post by Stev » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all

I hope you can help me:

I'm running SuSE 6.0 and things are generally OK.

Problem:

Running 'kppp' as user 'steve' I can dial my ISP, and set up a
connection,  BUT
when starting pppd I get the following error message

'/usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run pppd, since it is not setuid-root'.

I have no idea how to change the setuid bit for the pppd application, so
any ideas are
welcome.

BTW, 'ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd' indicates that owner is root, and group is
dialout (yes, user
'steve' is a member of 'dialout').

I dont have this problem when starting pppd as root.

Any help will be happily received.

Thanks in advance

Steve

(Remove 'nospam.' from my e-mail address to reply. Thanks)

Post by Lars ?imoe » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I'm running SuSE 6.0 and things are generally OK.

> Problem:

> Running 'kppp' as user 'steve' I can dial my ISP, and set up a
> connection,  BUT when starting pppd I get the following error message

> '/usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run pppd, since it is not setuid-root'.

> I have no idea how to change the setuid bit for the pppd application, so
> any ideas are
> welcome.

The PPP-HOWTO in RH5.2 says:

"Because PPP needs to set up networking devices, change the kernel
  routing table and so forth, it requires root privileges to do this.

  If users other than root are to set up PPP connections, the pppd
  program should be setuid root :-
       -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root        95225 Jul 11 00:27
/usr/sbin/pppd

  If /usr/sbin/pppd is not set up this way, then as root issue the
  command:-

       chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
"

Don't know if it's the same with SuSE, but it's worth a try...

Lars.

help: pppd and setuid-root problem

Post by Mac Q. Flore » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

a GUI way of doing this is to install FileRunner2.5 from your SuSE install
CD.  i think it goes into /usr/bin/fr so if it is in your path you can
invoke it by just typing "fr" (w/o the quotes). run it as root, navigate to
the file and click on the "ChMod" button.  this gives you a graphical
presentation of the file/folder permissions -- then just ckick away! ;-)

but then again, working on the command line is better since you get to see
error messages  . . .
M Q  F l o r e s  I V
Northwestern University
LinuxPowered 2.2.4

Quote:> Hi all

> I hope you can help me:

> I'm running SuSE 6.0 and things are generally OK.

> Problem:

> Running 'kppp' as user 'steve' I can dial my ISP, and set up a
> connection,  BUT
> when starting pppd I get the following error message

> '/usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run pppd, since it is not setuid-root'.

> I have no idea how to change the setuid bit for the pppd application, so
> any ideas are
> welcome.

> BTW, 'ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd' indicates that owner is root, and group is
> dialout (yes, user
> 'steve' is a member of 'dialout').

> I dont have this problem when starting pppd as root.

> Any help will be happily received.

> Thanks in advance

> Steve

> (Remove 'nospam.' from my e-mail address to reply. Thanks)

1. pppd in 'setuid-root' mode

    I have been trying to get a small dock app ("wmppp") to work.  I am
very close but have run into 1 problem that I believe is my final road
block.
    I get the following message whenever I try to connect using the
script I have set up:
        /usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd, since it is
not setuid-root

    Is "setuid-root" a compile time option, or can I set this someplace
else?

    (if possible, please resond via e-mail).

    Thanks for any help!

    Nick

2. signal 11 received when trying to start an application

3. Need help with setuid() problems on 386/ix with setuid root program.

4. HELP - moving data from tape to tape

5. Help with setuid-root

6. Implementing Raw IPX

7. Help w/ setuid-root please?

8. Help with Grub

9. Losing setuid root on pppd

10. losing setuid=root on pppd

11. setuid root pppd

12. Security holes in VGA setuid-root utils

13. setuid-root and rsh?