IP address for eth0

Post by Trip » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello all,

I'm current going through the process of setting up samba and have
gotten as far as having my NIC recognized.  My questions is this.  On my
little lowly network I want to use a static IP so that I may use VNC (a
remote viewer).  However, my current dial-up uses DHCP - so I don't want
to interfere with this.  Additionally, I anticipate having a cable modem
soon which will also use DHCP, and of course connect through my LAN.

What sort (range) of numbers can I use as an IP address currently?  And,
what may I have to do differently once I have the cable modem in place?

Thanks for all the help!

Trip :-)

IP address for eth0

Post by mcnu.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm not sure I understand your question.  I know what VNC is and I know
how DHCP works...  Are you trying to set it up so that you can go to work
or wherever and still be able to use VNC to see your machine at home?

You may not be able to do this quite the way you want.  If knowing your
IP address is the only problem, you might write a little perl script that
will periodically check your IP address and - if changed - mail it to you
someplace like hotmail.  You could write the same script to check whether
or not your connection has gone down and take some appropriate measures.

Anyway, please be more clear on your basic intent.  How many machines are
at your home, which one is the Linux box, and who's using VNC to connect
to what?

Later...

--J

: Hello all,

: I'm current going through the process of setting up samba and have
: gotten as far as having my NIC recognized.  My questions is this.  On my
: little lowly network I want to use a static IP so that I may use VNC (a
: remote viewer).  However, my current dial-up uses DHCP - so I don't want
: to interfere with this.  Additionally, I anticipate having a cable modem
: soon which will also use DHCP, and of course connect through my LAN.

: What sort (range) of numbers can I use as an IP address currently?  And,
: what may I have to do differently once I have the cable modem in place?

: Thanks for all the help!

: Trip :-)

IP address for eth0

Post by Mark Bratche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> What sort (range) of numbers can I use as an IP address currently?  And,
> what may I have to do differently once I have the cable modem in place?

Use 192.168.1.whatever. I don't know about the cable modem.

--
Mark Bratcher

Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

  mbratch.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Multiple virtual IP addresses on eth0

How does one host multiple IP addresses on a Linux 1.2.13
(or better) kernel/os version?  I am converting from BSDi
to Linux 1.2.13.  I used to use:

ifconfig eth0 alias 206.30.238.50
route add 206.30.238.50 128.0.0.1 (or similar route command)

The ifconfig does not support aliases?  How do I implement this?
This makes or breaks the linux concept and I NEED linux because
BSDi is not my prefered os.

Zack

2. How do I configure a modem through a Keyspan USB to Serial port adapter

3. HELP: how to obtain the IP-address of eth0?

4. partition

5. Autoipd fails to give ip address to eth0:0

6. Scsh (a Unix Scheme shell) FAQ

7. Additional IP address on eth0

8. PATCH: broken ping on RH 6.0

9. Bind several IP addresses to eth0

10. Add a 2nd IP address on eth0

11. Pppd doesn't allow remote IP address when eth0 is up

12. What IP addresses for eth0 and eth1 on a bridge?

13. Attach two IP-Addresses to ETH0