A solution to a 'lpd running but no printing problem'

A solution to a 'lpd running but no printing problem'

Post by Jeff Wexle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When I was looking for solutions for this problem, I saw in the
newsgroups that other folks encountered similar trouble:
The problem:
*) I was trying to cancel an active job that was a long document that I
changed my mind on for printing  (lprm didn't work and I wasn't too
familiar lpc). Instead, I just deleted the c... and d... entries for
that job in /var/spool/lpr/lp
*) As a result, printing got fairly messed up with the next queued jobs
only being printed one-at-a-time and only if I restarted lpd

A Solution:    (actually a quite simple one) (By-the-way, my system is
Redhat Mandrake 6.1 so you should do the equivalent for yours):
*) Entered Xwindows (started kde) as root user
*) Ran printtool (just type 'printtool' at a konsole )
*) Temporarily modified my printer's entry for "spool directory" to
point to a temporary name in the same directory (e.g., from
'var/spool/lpr/lp' to 'var/spool/lpr/tmp'.  Then clicked on the edit
button and temporarily changed the top/bottom margin. (This is probably
not necessary, but I just wanted to ensure that 'printtool' would update
the configuration settings.)
*) In the 'Test' menu of 'printtool', had it print a test 'ASCII' page.
This printed fine via the new directory /var/spool/lpr/tmp.
*) Then removed both /var/spool/lpr/lp and /var/spool/lpr/tmp
directories
*) Then reopened 'printtool' and changed the 'spool directory' back to
'/var/spool/lpr/lp' and changed the top/bottom margin back to its
original value
*) Then tested printing and was happy with the result.
*) What this did was re-create the configuration files and filter in
/var/spool/lpr/lp directory

Hope that helps and cheers,
lb

1. Solution printing problem - 'no conection permissions'

Printer Client running Redhat 7.2

I added the hosts.lpd file with my ipaddress of the client that I want
to print from but was still receiving the 'no connection permissions'
error when I tried to forward a printing job from the client.

I commented out "REJECT SERVICE=X NOT SERVER" in /etc/lpr.perms and ran
/etc/init.d/lpd restart.

That seems to solve the problem for me.   Now I can run lpr

    Tom

2. Unerasing `rm'd files

3. Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem

4. Apache as proxy, possible to change passed Realm ?

5. lpd requests channeled through one 'print server' ??

6. Manually editting /etc/passwd. Recommended?

7. SVR4 doesn't print my LPD print jobs

8. i815E + AGP Riva TNT2 ?

9. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

10. lpd: Fatal error - Cannot bind to lpd port '515'

11. Linux's LPD problem... any newer lpd?

12. LPD print restart problems - "can't connect"

13. Problem running 'waisq' in 'chroot' file system