Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

Post by wayne.. » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,
        I was trying to install RH 5.2 on my system. The
installation process runs smoothly until it reach the stage
where lilo is to be installed. I tried to boot from floppy
and install lilo manually, but it fails as well. Id be glad
if anybody out there could give me a hand. Here is the
details:

        I have 3 HDs attached to my Promise Ultra33 PCI
controller and I intended to install RH 5.2 on the extended
partition of HD 3 (10G). Ive read those limitations on lilo,
yet I think the system commander in my MBS may be able
to boot it, so I gave it a try. It turn out that Disk Druid was
unable to mount the root on HD3 and Ive to use fdisk to
do the partitioning as follows :

hdf1 : primary (about 7G,fat32) #this one was done with dos
hdf2 : extended
hdf5 : 256Mb (linux native)  #root
hdf6 : 127Mb (linux swap)
hdf7 : 2Gb (linux native)  #/usr

The installation runs smoothly until it comes to the point
where I select to install lilo on my root partition. It keeps
failing so I restart with my installation disk, hope I could
get lilo installed manually. I start with the following
parameters :
vmlinuz root=/dev/hdf5

When Ive login as root and execute /sbin/lilo, the following
error message was displayed and lilo quit itself :
Sorry, unable to handle device 0x???? (I forgot the no. here)

Then I found a script in /usr/doc/lilo named QuickInst so
I gave that a try. A message stating somthing like :
activate was not found, run the script in your lilo source
directory is displayed but it let me continue. However,
when I typed /dev/hdf5 to store lilo on, it tells me that
it is not a valid device.......

Ive tried -b /dev/hdf5 with lilo and got the same result.
Thinking that it may really be a problem of HD3, I repeat
the installation with my HD2 (roughly the same partitioning)
and the problem repeat itself as well... And this time, whats
worse is, Win98 seems to have problem with partitions in HD 3
as I cant format the logical drives in HD 3s extended partition
(cant write to partition table, sth like that). After deleting all
linux partition on HD 2, HD 3 works flawlessly...

        I will be much appreciated if anyone out there can help
me out or point me to any resource that may be useful.

Best Regards,
Wayne

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

Post by Roger Atkinso » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You need the UDMA patch for the promise Rose Controller. Take
a look at the Ultra DMA Mini How To.

HTH, Roger Atkinson Cubic Sys Admin

> Hi there,
>         I was trying to install RH 5.2 on my system. The
> installation process runs smoothly until it reach the stage
> where lilo is to be installed. I tried to boot from floppy
> and install lilo manually, but it fails as well. Id be glad
> if anybody out there could give me a hand. Here is the
> details:

>         I have 3 HDs attached to my Promise Ultra33 PCI
> controller and I intended to install RH 5.2 on the extended
> partition of HD 3 (10G). Ive read those limitations on lilo,
> yet I think the system commander in my MBS may be able
> to boot it, so I gave it a try. It turn out that Disk Druid was
> unable to mount the root on HD3 and Ive to use fdisk to
> do the partitioning as follows :

> hdf1 : primary (about 7G,fat32) #this one was done with dos
> hdf2 : extended
> hdf5 : 256Mb (linux native)  #root
> hdf6 : 127Mb (linux swap)
> hdf7 : 2Gb (linux native)  #/usr

> The installation runs smoothly until it comes to the point
> where I select to install lilo on my root partition. It keeps
> failing so I restart with my installation disk, hope I could
> get lilo installed manually. I start with the following
> parameters :
> vmlinuz root=/dev/hdf5

> When Ive login as root and execute /sbin/lilo, the following
> error message was displayed and lilo quit itself :
> Sorry, unable to handle device 0x???? (I forgot the no. here)

> Then I found a script in /usr/doc/lilo named QuickInst so
> I gave that a try. A message stating somthing like :
> activate was not found, run the script in your lilo source
> directory is displayed but it let me continue. However,
> when I typed /dev/hdf5 to store lilo on, it tells me that
> it is not a valid device.......

> Ive tried -b /dev/hdf5 with lilo and got the same result.
> Thinking that it may really be a problem of HD3, I repeat
> the installation with my HD2 (roughly the same partitioning)
> and the problem repeat itself as well... And this time, whats
> worse is, Win98 seems to have problem with partitions in HD 3
> as I cant format the logical drives in HD 3s extended partition
> (cant write to partition table, sth like that). After deleting all
> linux partition on HD 2, HD 3 works flawlessly...

>         I will be much appreciated if anyone out there can help
> me out or point me to any resource that may be useful.

> Best Regards,
> Wayne

> **** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Problem installing RH 5.2, lilo won't install

Post by wayne.. » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

        Thanks for your prompt response, Roger. :>

        I've read the mini-howto about the ultra-DMA.
It states that kernal 2.0.35 has explicit support for the
promise ultra33 and the one on RH 5.2 distribution is 2.0.36.
And I didn't encounter any problem on the installation
(it regconize my HDs properly)except the part of LILO. The
howto didn't cover RH 5.2 distribution and could anyone tell
me whether I need to patch the kernal to make LILO work with
my promise ultra33?

Best Rgds,
Wayne

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

1. RH 5.2 - LILO won't install during Linux installation.

During installation of RH 5.2, I can't install LILO, neither on MBR or on
first sector of /root. I get an error message telling me that LILO can't be
installed. I have NT4 and Win98 on other primary partitions on the same
drive and my /root partition is located before cyl 1023 on hda. I don't need
LILO to be able to boot NT4 and Win98.
Can I fix this after Linux is installed? What should I do?

Thanks,
Andreas.

2. A problem with GDB.....

3. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

4. mksysb shell script

5. Can't install LILO w/RH 5.2

6. Netscape issue?

7. Can't install LILO from RH 5.2

8. Syslog Problem on Solaris 2.3

9. RH 5.2 floppy install won't start

10. RH 5.2 HD Install - WON'T - HELP!!!

11. Can't install LILO w/RH 5.2

12. Help: Lilo install of RH 5.2 unsuccessful

13. RH 5.0: LILO won't install at end of installation . . .