Compaq ProLiant 1850 and Redhat 7.3

Post by Michael Hyma » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:56:41

Hi,

A while back there was a thread on this group discussing 7.3 installs
failing on this hardware when the system tries to probe the monitor.

The advice given was to use the EISA utils and disable the VGA
resources. I did that and I am still faced with the same problem.

I am hoping that someone figured out this issue and can help me by
posting the answer.

I will quote the orig. thread to refresh memories.

Thanks in advance for the help...Michael

PS. Sorry for the cross-posting, but I need an answer and these groups
all seem relavent.

-----------

> > We're trying to load RH7.3 on a Compaq Proliant 1850R.  The install
> > starts okay, but stops permanenly after it has search for and apparently
> > found the Compaq monitor.  After it IDs the monitor, it just stops dead.
> >  Any ideas?

> Try a text install (it's an option on the installation screen.)

Go into the eisa config and modify the video card settings. There is a
option for Standard VGA support which needs to be disabled.

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Post by Michael Hyma » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:04:10

Hi,

A while back there was a thread on this group discussing 7.3 installs
failing on this hardware when the system tries to probe the monitor.

The advice given was to use the EISA utils and disable the VGA
resources. I did that and I am still faced with the same problem.

I am hoping that someone figured out this issue and can help me by
posting the answer.

I will quote the orig. thread to refresh memories.

Thanks in advance for the help...Michael

PS. Sorry for the cross-posting, but I need an answer and these groups
all seem relavent.

-----------

> > We're trying to load RH7.3 on a Compaq Proliant 1850R.  The install
> > starts okay, but stops permanenly after it has search for and apparently
> > found the Compaq monitor.  After it IDs the monitor, it just stops dead.
> >  Any ideas?

> Try a text install (it's an option on the installation screen.)

Go into the eisa config and modify the video card settings. There is a
option for Standard VGA support which needs to be disabled.

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

1. Not enough memory error trying to install RH 7.3 on Compaq Proliant 1500

I have  Red Hat Linux 7.0 installed on a Compaq Proliant 1500. It has 256 MB
RAM. When I installed 7.0, the installer said I needed to set up my swap
partition right away as I had a low memory situation. The 7.3 installer,
after loading the SCSI CDROM and RAID drivers says that there isn't enough
memory.

I'm just trying to validate that Linux is a viable solution on  these old
servers.

1) How can I check what my memory utilization is on the current 7.0 setup?

2) Should I try to do an "expert" installation of 7.3? If so, where would I
find informaiton about the various parameters I'd have to specify?

3) Help.

Thanks.

2. Win95 install

3. correct use of bash

4. Help with Compaq 1850 - rather urgent

5. 2.7 x86 doesn't see Archive 4mm DAT

6. Sol 7 x86: compaq 1850 question

7. IP forwarding with kernel 2.1

8. Compaq deskpro 1850/Solaris 7 5/99/SMART RAID Array not found on install...

9. Help: Setting up a Compaq WL200 Wireless LAN Card on Redhat Linux 7.3

10. Setting up a Compaq WL200 Wireless LAN Card on Redhat Linux 7.3

11. Installation Redhat 7.3 on Compaq Server !!!