Advice on choosing a good Linux distribution

Advice on choosing a good Linux distribution

Post by R Kanna » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:10:46

Hi

I am a newly to line but I have used unix workstations
for several years at work as C/C++/X-Motif developer. I am
overwhelmed by the different flavors (Red Hat, sues, Mandrake
& friends) and the different packaging (Standard, Pro etc.) that are
available at the local compUSA.

I would like your advice on choosing the best distribution
for my use. I am tempted to go in for a full blown pro
version of sues / Mandrake but would like to get more
info.

I have two computers, a HP 800 MHz Pentium
with 256 MB memory, Nevada video card, 40 Gb hard drive,
sound card etc. and a Gateway 133 MHz Pentium with 48 MB
memory, Matrix video card, KGB hard drive etc.

I would like to use Line for minor development/exploration
in C/C++/Java in addition to web surfing, mailing, word
processing, spread sheet work.

Thanks for any info.

Advice on choosing a good Linux distribution

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:50:17

Quote:> I would like to use Line for minor development/exploration
> in C/C++/Java in addition to web surfing, mailing, word
> processing, spread sheet work.

Unfortunately there is no "easy" answer as to which distribution best
suits you.  You've probably seen advocates from abroad scream why their
distribution is best suited for the populace.  So, to be frank, I'll be
general - pick any distribution that you've listed and you should be on
track to finding the overwhelming capabilities that Linux has to offer.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (410 of 533)
-> Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by
-> which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
-> - Carl Sagan

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:47:56

> I am a newly to line but I have used unix workstations
> for several years at work as C/C++/X-Motif developer. I am
> overwhelmed by the different flavors (Red Hat, sues, Mandrake
> & friends) and the different packaging (Standard, Pro etc.) that are
> available at the local compUSA.

My advice:

  Run whatever is run by the person you are most likely to ask
  for help.  [Unless he's running some weird homebrew system.
  You should start with one of the major distros: RedHat, SuSe,
  Mandrake, Debian, etc.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... Get me a GIN
                                  at               and TONIC!!...make it

Advice on choosing a good Linux distribution

Post by Raul Trujill » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:24:54

My opinion (not necessarily true) is if you want a Desktop PC type with the
main focus on GUI go for Mandrake.  I believe that's the audience they focus
on.

However, if you would like a Workstation, where you will be compiling your
Kernel, custom install, and programming, I believe Suse or RedHat will be
good.

Or the above with lots of utilities: Suse.  Or the above with lots of
support RedHat.

...my 2 cents...

-rt

P.S.  Again, this is my opinion...  ...lots of others have theirs...

Quote:> Hi

> I am a newly to line but I have used unix workstations
> for several years at work as C/C++/X-Motif developer. I am
> overwhelmed by the different flavors (Red Hat, sues, Mandrake
> & friends) and the different packaging (Standard, Pro etc.) that are
> available at the local compUSA.

> I would like your advice on choosing the best distribution
> for my use. I am tempted to go in for a full blown pro
> version of sues / Mandrake but would like to get more
> info.

> I have two computers, a HP 800 MHz Pentium
> with 256 MB memory, Nevada video card, 40 Gb hard drive,
> sound card etc. and a Gateway 133 MHz Pentium with 48 MB
> memory, Matrix video card, KGB hard drive etc.

> I would like to use Line for minor development/exploration
> in C/C++/Java in addition to web surfing, mailing, word
> processing, spread sheet work.

> Thanks for any info.

1. How to choose a linux distribution

I saw many open source embedded linux distribution here :

how can i choose a linux embedded distribution (which criterion)?

for example :

1) embedded distribution for a machine for planing wood

2) a dedicated PC only for internet navigation (mozilla)

3) remote control system

thanks and sorry for the general question

MB

2. failed dependency trying to install LAMP?

3. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 12 June 2002 GNUbies: Wendell Anderson on Choosing a GNU/Linux Distribution

4. Linux console problems

5. ?? Choosing distribution for Linux on IBM RS/6000 - 43P 140 and 240

6. Incremental back up using dump

7. Help me choose a linux distribution

8. RedHat 7.2 Cannot start X windows

9. Which Linux Distribution to choose?

10. REQ: Criteria for choosing linux distribution

11. Choosing a Linux Distribution for a G3

12. Choosing linux distribution

13. Choosing Linux distribution?