Help Can't Start X with MetroX and RH5.0

Post by Mark P. Killori » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Can someone please help me?  I have tried to install RH5.0 and Metro-X
>on my system, however I cannot get X to start.  I have a Mag 17DX
>monitor and Matrox Millenium card, both of which are supported.  The
>error that I keep getting is ...

>"Couldn't load XKB keymap"

>It is looking for keymap/metro, which does not exist.  If anyone can
>help, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, please email any replies

>Thanks!!!

 I had the same problem with version 5.0 and e-mailed RedHat about it. Their
reply was that the version of Metro-X that they shipped was so bugged-up
that they won't support it and they recommended that I don't use it (makes
me wonder what I paid my money for).

So I did a complete reinstall (including reformatting to clear out any
traces of Metro-X) and used XFree86 to do the configuration. If you "skip"
when the install program asks if you want to use Metro-X you will then be
sent into XFree86 to do the configuration.

I'm still having some trouble because my video card is not fully supported
but startx does work for me now, at least in VGA mode.

Good luck,

    Mark Killorin

1. Help Can't Start X with MetroX and RH5.0

Can someone please help me?  I have tried to install RH5.0 and Metro-X
on my system, however I cannot get X to start.  I have a Mag 17DX
monitor and Matrox Millenium card, both of which are supported.  The
error that I keep getting is ...

"Couldn't load XKB keymap"

It is looking for keymap/metro, which does not exist.  If anyone can
help, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, please email any replies

Thanks!!!

2. Modeline Settings for VESA Monitor

3. Can't start MetroX

4. Root NFS with PLIP

5. RH5.0 -> RH5.1 upgrade doesn't help me...

6. rpc.lockd for Linux

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. NetBSD and ccd

9. Cant't 'startx'- IBM Thinkpad 755CX 9545HNE-RH5.2, 6.0-HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. KDE 1.1.1 and RH5.2, KDE won't start

11. Q: Getting both MetroX and XFree86 working in RH5 Linux

12. Metrox 4.1 (RH5.0) problems...