red hat upgrade questions

Post by jeff canar m. » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

when upgrading Red Hat linux 3.0.3 to 4.0:

1)  do i have to upgrade the kermel to the latest first (i'm running
whatever kernel they shipped with the c.d.'s this summer,

2)  if not, can i go to their web site, and download whatever files
are neccessary to make the upgrade (the rpm's?)

3)  and if those files are available, where are they?  i've checked
the site, and can't seem to find the right subdirectory with a read.me
file that explains what i'm looking to do.

thanks in advance,
jeff

red hat upgrade questions

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>when upgrading Red Hat linux 3.0.3 to 4.0:

>1)  do i have to upgrade the kermel to the latest first (i'm running
>whatever kernel they shipped with the c.d.'s this summer,

Nope, it all happens as part of the upgrade process.  I upgraded stratight from
2.1 to 4.0 with no problem.

Quote:>2)  if not, can i go to their web site, and download whatever files

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

1. Red Hat Upgrade Question

Suppose you are using Caldera Network Desktop v1.0 (Red Hat rel 2.1,
kernel 1.2.13), and you want to upgrade, well, everything.  That is,
I want to upgrade from gcc-2.7.0 to 2.7.2, kernel-1.2.13 to 2.0.x,
and whatnot...  Do I only have to use the upgrade script, or do I have
to download a whole bunch of stuff first?  I'd like to continue using
CND, but I NEED kernel-2.0.x in order to get my SCSI card and sound
card working.

Thanks...
Adam
  |         Adam Burstein         |  "Half of us are trying           |

  |  http://cs.nyu.edu/~burs7211  |                           - Rush  |

2. Cable Modem + DHCP + IP Masqurading + Bridge + Firewall: Too Much?

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. windowmaker not loading

5. Red Hat 5.0 Upgrade Question.

6. duplication of tapes

7. Upgrading libc in Red Hat question

8. crash when calling madvise( MADV_WILLNEED )

9. Red Hat & Apache Upgrade Question

10. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

13. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming