Token Ring errors

Post by Michael Foxwort » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I have gotten nowhere with this Token Ring card. I can't seem to even get the
tr0 to come up when the box is booted. I have patched in all the stuff but
still no luck. I installed Linux from the LSL 2.1 CD. Is there some kind of
problem with it? I am new to Linux so I need some help with this driver. I
have even asked if I could get someone to dial into the bax and straighten it
out. any takers? What I have is a 486/33DX with 8meg and a 512Meg hd, an 8bit
TR 16/4 card all ISA and a mitsumi cdrom that I purchased just for this box. I
seem to have dip running fine and pretty much all the stuff except the Token
Ring Card. Please help.

Thanx in advance.

Token Ring errors

Post by Paul P. Nort » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I have gotten nowhere with this Token Ring card. I can't seem to even get the
: tr0 to come up when the box is booted. I have patched in all the stuff but
: still no luck. I installed Linux from the LSL 2.1 CD. Is there some kind of
: problem with it? I am new to Linux so I need some help with this driver. I
: have even asked if I could get someone to dial into the bax and straighten it
: out. any takers? What I have is a 486/33DX with 8meg and a 512Meg hd, an 8bit
: TR 16/4 card all ISA and a mitsumi cdrom that I purchased just for this box. I
: seem to have dip running fine and pretty much all the stuff except the Token
: Ring Card. Please help.

: Thanx in advance.

:

Which version of Linux? Which version of the token ring patches? Did the patch
apply without errors? IBM 16/4 card? Did you run ifconfig against tr0? What
messages do you get when the kernel tries to initialize the card?

I have a Linux 1.2.9/ELF with 1.2.0 token ring patches running at work without
any problems. Solid as a rock.

--
Paul P. Norton

Token Ring errors

Post by Larry Sande » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I have gotten nowhere with this Token Ring card. I can't seem to even get the
>tr0 to come up when the box is booted. I have patched in all the stuff but
>still no luck. I installed Linux from the LSL 2.1 CD. Is there some kind of
>problem with it? I am new to Linux so I need some help with this driver. I
>have even asked if I could get someone to dial into the bax and straighten it
>out. any takers? What I have is a 486/33DX with 8meg and a 512Meg hd, an 8bit
>TR 16/4 card all ISA and a mitsumi cdrom that I purchased just for this box. I
>seem to have dip running fine and pretty much all the stuff except the Token
>Ring Card. Please help.
>Thanx in advance.

I have just completed setting up LINUX 1.2.8 with token and ring and had
what sounds like the same problem you are having.  I (being a newbe to
LINUX) forgot to run LILO after I compiled and replace my unix kernal.

After running LILO manually I rebooted and it worked perfectly.

I got some information from another gentleman who was written a (draft as
he calls it) HOWTO FAQ on token ring.  If he okays it I will Post it here
for you to use.  I have a couple of suggestions for him to add if he thinks
it will help.

Try the LILO trick and GOOD LUCK.

Token Ring errors

Post by Martia » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Just get Ethernet, and all your problems will dissapear!!
:)

Lee.

Token Ring errors

Post by Larry Sande » Sat, 01 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I have gotten nowhere with this Token Ring card. I can't seem to even get the
>tr0 to come up when the box is booted. I have patched in all the stuff but
>still no luck. I installed Linux from the LSL 2.1 CD. Is there some kind of
>problem with it? I am new to Linux so I need some help with this driver. I
>have even asked if I could get someone to dial into the bax and straighten it
>out. any takers? What I have is a 486/33DX with 8meg and a 512Meg hd, an 8bit
>TR 16/4 card all ISA and a mitsumi cdrom that I purchased just for this box. I
>seem to have dip running fine and pretty much all the stuff except the Token
>Ring Card. Please help.
>Thanx in advance.

I posted an "un-official TokenRing HOWTO"(written by Mike Eckhoff) on
comp.os.linux.network and I noticed that it is now on:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Token-Ring

Have FUN