S.u.S.e install

Post by Shaun Nola » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Having a major problem with the partitions.  I got the
software on the PCPLUS coverdisk.  In the accompanying
article it says that you can use a small amount of disk
space for the root filesystem, to help reduce errors(?),
and install the apps on another partition* off
of the root. How??  The only way I can get the system
to install the apps is if I have 1 partition for root
and a swap space.

PLEASE HELP...
--
________________
Shaun Nolan.

S.u.S.e install

Post by Richard Horto » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Partition your hard drive following the example below :-

Partition       Type    Size    Mount Point
1               native  100mb   \
2               native  100mb   \home
3               native  550mb   \usr
4               native  500mb   \opt
5               swap    rest of drive

By making \usr,\opt,\home mount points come from different partitions
you end up with the effect of having \ by itself. On a 1 drive system
though this isn't all that useful as if the drive crashes you will still
lose everything.

The way *nix works with multiple drives is very unlike MSDOS - instead
of drive letters every individual drive or partition gets attached to
root file system via mount points. These mount points make it appear
like you have one big filesystem - alot better option IMHO.

--
---

"In world without fences who needs Gates?"

My opinions - when I have any - are my own and unless stated explicitly
in no way represent
those of my employers, friends, collegues, enemies.

Richard Horton.
Graduate Software Engineer GEC-Easams.
(remove the usual bits to email me).

S.u.S.e install

Post by root » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Having a major problem with the partitions.  I got the
> software on the PCPLUS coverdisk.  In the accompanying
> article it says that you can use a small amount of disk
> space for the root filesystem, to help reduce errors(?),
> and install the apps on another partition* off
> of the root. How??  The only way I can get the system
> to install the apps is if I have 1 partition for root
> and a swap space.

> PLEASE HELP...
> --
> ________________
> Shaun Nolan.

I don't know which distribution of linux you have (RedHat, Caldera,
SuSE, Slackware...) but generally in the setup program there is a step
in which you can partition (or repartition) the Hard Disk(s). You can
create one or more linux native partition and the swap partition. Then
(in a following step or in the same) you have to specify which are the
mounting points of the partitions you created. In my computer there are
two HD that are seen as /dev/hda (primary master) and /dev/hdb (primary
slave). I have patitioned my hd drives in this way (I specify the file
system type and mount point, too):

/dev/hda1   VFAT (for windows95)     mounted at /winC
/dev/hda2   linux swap
/dev/hda3   linux native                           mounted at /usr/lib
/dev/hdb1   linux native                           mounted at /
/dev/hdb2   linux native                           mounted at /usr
/dev/hdb3   linux native                           mounted at /cdImage
(I use it to copy CDs)

In my case having that kind of partition scheme allows to make access to
the HDs contemporaneously. Say, I have a program which uses a file from
/usr an one from /usr/lib, it can access both in the same time. Same for
swap space and other partition on the other HD.

Bye
Roberto

1. Redhat 6.1 install and freeze after package install

I am trying to install Redhat 6.1 on a 133Mhz Pentium w/ 64 megs of RAM.  I
am able to boot up the kernel from the latest boot.img on a floppy and get
through the graphical install until the RPM packages are finishing
installing.  At this point the machine simply freezes up on me.  I
configured X windows with a "generic monitor" and Redhat was able to
recognize my video card and VRAM size.  I have tried to reinstall about six
times now with different options enabled (including changing my mouse
settings from generic serial to Microsoft 2.A serial) but I am still getting
the same system freeze.  Does anyone have any advice they can give me?  It
would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Southern Oregon University

2. strcpy problems

3. Man Pages Install Post Solaris 8 Install

4. XMosaic 2.0: Can't type into Gopher search fields

5. linux thinks that rpm is both installed and not installed

6. interrupt hooks

7. installing other components once linux is already installed

8. Win98 Clients and IPChains firewall

9. install RH 6.2 over RH 7.0, install problem

10. first time installing, need help with partitioning and install

11. Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

12. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

13. Installing custom software from Solaris Install