Problems installing Plug and Play Linux Yggdrasil fall 95 edition

Problems installing Plug and Play Linux Yggdrasil fall 95 edition

Post by Harry Westerma » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

Recently, I bought the Fall 1995 edition of Plug and Play Linux here in
the Netherlands, Europe. Today, I
managed to get a hold of 2 more MB's of memory for my good old 386SX PC,
that I'm planning to use as a
TCPIP gateway. But Linux won't install, it complains about a lack of
memory.

Situation:

Brand X 386SX 16Mhz
4 MB memory
105 MB Seagate HDD
3,5 FDD
2 * 3c509 3COM network card
nothing special.

I connected my 5speed ATAPI CDROM as a slave drive to the HDD, just for
installing Linux. Things work
OK under DOS, including the CDROM.

When installing, I get the message "SH is out of virtual memory" (after
a lot of waiting as expected) and nothing
more... Darn. I know it's about the smallest machine you can get to run
Linux, but it's the only one I have
left. Is there some simple trick to get the installation working?

I have tried quite some things already; even to the extend of building a
minimal Linux 2.0 kernel on another
machine to save some memory, but that one can't find the root device (?)
during bootup.

I'm really out of options now, I can't get more memory in the machine,
the motherboard won't allow it....

Please help me!

Harry Westerman

1. Yggdrasil plug & play Fall 95 Linux

I don't know about the Fall '95 release (didn't know they had come out with one, and
I've been watching their ads), but the Fall '94 release had more installation bugs
than you can shake a stick at. I've got a file with all the install "errata" (their
term, not mine) from the Fall 94 release. If you want it, email me and I'll send it.

The Fall 94 release tended to mess up a lot of links and permissions when it
installed to the hard disk.

2. Cannot ftp into OpenServer

3. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

4. Unable to use telnet with IPv6

5. Yggdrasil Fall 1994 Plug-and-Play Linux

6. Funny Story!

7. Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux: Fall 1994 "revB" floppy

8. Install SCSI-multidisc CDROM?

9. Yggdrasil Plug and Play Linux Fall 1995

10. FAQ: Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug-N-Play Linux

11. Yggdrasil Fall 95 install problem!!!Please Help!!! :~~

12. Yggdrasil PnP Linux Fall '95 install/LILO help?

13. Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Fall 1994 + Mitsumi 4x IDE CD = Paradise or Hell?