Linux setup question..

Post by Erwin Jans » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I got the slackware 3.0.0 cd-rom and installed linux.
all works well but, I cannot compile any c++ programs..

the other problem I have is that the command man doesn't work.
(I don't seem to have a program called gtbl..)

any help would be really appreciated

--
NERDS 'R US.    Department of Computer Science University Utrecht.

*ZAP*

Linux setup question..

Post by Gladwell G » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I got the slackware 3.0.0 cd-rom and installed linux.

        Congratu-*&$%lations.

Quote:>all works well but, I cannot compile any c++ programs..

        Ah got it, I know exactly what your problem is! Oh hang on, no I don't
as you've not given us even one clue to help you out.....

Quote:>the other problem I have is that the command man doesn't work.
>(I don't seem to have a program called gtbl..)

        Oh man....;*/

Quote:>NERDS 'R US.    Department of Computer Science University Utrecht.

 ^^^^^^^^^^^ You're telling *us*!?!!?!

>*ZAP*

Greg ( Fed up with idiots posting for help without even the slightest clue or
       indicating a possible line of help )

--
  Gregory Gladwell - 2nd Year    //// http://cswww2.essex.ac.uk/users/gladgd
Computer Science Undergraduate  ////  Windows95 - The equivalent is usability

1. Very basic linux setup questions

I'm running Win98 on a Pentium-II 400 with 128 megs of RAM.  I want to
install Linux, and the best way to go seems to be to stick in an old
400 Mb hard drive, wipe it, and put Linux on it.

With that in mind, I have some questions.

First, should I format the HD first, low-level format the HD, or leave
it as is and let Linux and/or the install process reformat that drive?
Should I wipe the small drive and then put DOS on it before I put Linux
on it (this seems silly, but....)?

Second, what's the best way to install Linux in this 2-drive scenario?
Should I take the Win98 HD off the cable entirely during the install?
Download Linux _to_ the Win98 drive and install to the smaller HD from
there?  Get Linux on a CD and set the machine to boot to the smaller HD
from the CD?

Third, I've been told that Linux can handle the dual-boot approach.  If
I want to have a choice between Win98 and Linux on boot up, do I have
to leave the Linux drive as the primary HD?  And does that mean I do
need to have the Win98 HD in the loop during the install?  (If it isn't
obvious, I have a ton of data on the Win98 drive that I *don't* want to
lose, though I will back it up before any of this).

Lastly, I access the internet via a DSL line that runs into a Kingston
NIC.  Will I be able to access the net in this fashion via Linux?

Thanks in advance for any info, help, suggestions, etc!

-LS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. how to ++ my variable? simple question easy awnser

3. Linux setup question

4. tcpdump of PPPoE

5. Newbie running Win95 / Linux setup question..

6. GUI/c(++)

7. ATI TV Wonder USB and Linux

8. Linux setup question

9. MINI LINUX Setup Questions