Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards

Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards

Post by Fabian Liener » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:51:05

Hi out there, hope this is the right newsgroup: we built a software
raid-5 with ide drives and wanted to know which journaling filesystem
ist the best for our configuration: ReiserFS

Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2
IDE controller cards

Hardware:

Transtec Server 2400L
2 Promise Ultra 100 TX2 IDE Controller Cards
3 Maxtor D740X ATA 133 80 GB Harddisks

4 Harddisks are linked by Ultra ATA Cables to the two Promise Cards.
Every Disk is Master. We use 3 Disks for a Software RAID-5.

Software:

Linux-2.4.18 Kernel with Support for RAID-5, Reiserfs, XFS (patch), JFS
(patch) and Promise Ultra 100.

Following debian-packets (testing):

ncurses-dev
raidtools2
reiserfsprogs
jfsutils
xfsprogs
xfsdump

We tested ReiserFS, XFS and JFS: Results are in html here:

http://raid.test.mitlinks.ch/soft_raid5_journal_filesystem_html.html

1. IDE RAID - FastTrak/66 (ATA/IDE - PCI RAID CONTROLLER)

It is at the moment, but Promise is suppose to be developing a driver.
Last time I checked, they said they had an alpha driver, but they didn't
have it posted yet. Check out the Promise support/download drivers
section. And yes, the FastTrack and the ATA66 are the same card (unless
they recently changed it) with different flash BIOSes and an "identity"
resistor.

Adrian
--
- I just tried this on my old Packard Bell 486/66 w/4MB (Hey ...
- shut-up! I was young, ignorant, and didn't know anything about

2. syslog and security

3. RH4.2 + NCR 53c825 +Scanport sq9600

4. ide raid card or an ide controller

5. PHP3: Can't Find Linux Libraries?

6. booting from a PCI card IDE controller /software raid?

7. XF86Config for ATI mach64

8. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

9. IDE RAID Cards vs Software RAID????

10. IDE RAID card or software RAID ?

11. Two-channel ide controllers + 3rd ide drive?

12. IDE controllers for software RAID