Still can't use modem!

Post by James Youngm » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I have just installed Red Hat and have an internal 56k modem on COM3. I have
> rest the irq for this port using setserial and all the other settings seem
> ok. I still cannot get the modem to work. Any ideas what I might be doing
> wrong? It works fine under Win95 (I have dual boot).

Talk to it with minicom.  Say "AT" (press return).  It should
immediately say "OK".   If this doesn't happen, the IRQ is wrong, or
you're using the wrong device name, or your modem does not work.

--

Still can't use modem!

Post by Ian Brigg » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Andrew,

Quote:> > I have just installed Red Hat and have an internal 56k modem on COM3. I have
> > rest the irq for this port using setserial and all the other settings seem
> > ok. I still cannot get the modem to work. Any ideas what I might be doing
> > wrong? It works fine under Win95 (I have dual boot).

I missed your original post, but I've just read Dave Hulsopple's reply.

I've got a similar problem: internal modem runs fine on COM3 and IRQ5 under
Windows, but Linux just ignores it. I'm completely new to Linux, so my best guess
at the moment is that my /dev/ttyS2 isn't configured properly. I've tried using
setserial to change ttyS2's IRQ, but no change. And that's where I get stuck,
because I don't know what else to do.

This probably doesn't help you much, but I thought you might like to know you're
not alone!  :-)

Best wishes,

-- Ian --

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Best X-terminal prog?

3. Type of UNIX

4. problem with using 'cu -l ttyS0' on a modem

5. Solaris on LX Config Questions?

6. How to initialize a modem using 'cu' in a script ?

7. Panasonic PD SCSI

8. Modem Woes (or 'why don't they make them like they used to?)

9. How to initialize a modem using 'cu' ?

10. 'Busying out' modems while using /etc/mgetty

11. Capture stills from JVC Video camera

12. Sony camera download stills...