Lilo Problem w/ Award plug and play bios

Lilo Problem w/ Award plug and play bios

Post by Yu Zha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All,
I'm installing mandrake 6.0 to my machine (w/ Award plug play bios),
since the bios supports LBR and is able to detect the hard drive accurately
(a Maxtor 8.4Gb  ), I didn't bother creating a /root in first 1024 cylinders.
Once I edit lilo.conf, I add 'linear' to enable linear addressing.

The partition table is like the following:

hda1 vfat Bootable 2.7g  cylinder 1-5500
hda2 linux Bootable 2.7g cylinder 5500-11000
hda3       .. (not important)
hda4 .. (not important)

the lilo.conf :

boot = /dev/hda
install = /boot/boot.b
map = /boot/map
prompt
linear
delay = 50

root = /dev/hdb2
label = linux
image = /boot/vmlinbackup

other = /dev/hda1
label = win98
table=/dev/hda

Though the lilo is installed (w/ warning of 1024 thing)
the machine refuses to boot from HD, the lilo prompt does not
come up, what it gives is 1 00 00 00 forever.

Any hint? It doesn't seem to be a 'geometric problem';
since the parameters detected by the bios agree w/ those
given by fdisk(linux).

--

Lilo Problem w/ Award plug and play bios

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Hi All,
>I'm installing mandrake 6.0 to my machine (w/ Award plug play bios),
>since the bios supports LBR and is able to detect the hard drive accurately
>(a Maxtor 8.4Gb  ), I didn't bother creating a /root in first 1024 cylinders.
>Once I edit lilo.conf, I add 'linear' to enable linear addressing.

>The partition table is like the following:

>hda1 vfat Bootable 2.7g  cylinder 1-5500
>hda2 linux Bootable 2.7g cylinder 5500-11000
>hda3       .. (not important)
>hda4 .. (not important)

>the lilo.conf :

The linux partition i way beyond the reach of BIOS and therefore lilo.

Maybe this would help (testers wanted).

:: Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
:: Subject: Boot beyond 1024 cyl with LILO

::
:: I have submitted a new version of LILO (beyond v. 21) to its author,
:: Werner Almsberger, with the hopes that it will be released as version
:: 22.  It adds a new directive which allows booting beyond 1024
:: cylinders, as long as your BIOS supports the Enhanced Disk Drive BIOS
:: calls.
::
:: I use it on a daily basis to dual boot RedHat 6.1 and Windows98se, on
:: a system with 27GB and 17GB hard drives.  It has been tested on two
:: older systems to make sure that all previous functionality is still
:: working.
::
:: Additional beta testing, comments, and other feedback is sought.  The
:: source code for egcc 2.8 (RH 6.0) is available at:
::
::    ftp://sd.dynhost.com/pub/linux/lilo
::
:: Please e-mail me if you download this package.  The new documentation
:: is in the CHANGES.txt and man pages.
::
:: --John Coffman

::
::
::

Villy

1. Installing LINUX on NCR PCI SCSI (Plug & Play, Award Bios)

Hi:

I am tring to install RedHat Linux.
My system is comprised of:
Pentium 90 Mhz
16M memory
PCI bus
2.1 G scsi-2 hard drive, governed by the PCI-SCSI S1365 card (NCR53C810)
Award bios; Scsi Plug & play.
3 WD 1.08M EIDE hard drives.

Is it true that Linux can not be installed on a system with a "Plug &
Play" scsi / bios support?

I'd appreciate any suggestions and opinions.

Reuven Zach

2. I have been driven crazy by XFree86

3. Award Plug and Play Bios

4. plug & play "events" in Linux?

5. 1662D + New Award BIOS 5.1 = unable to boot lilo

6. Solaris 7 HW 5/99

7. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play LILO problem, Pls Help

8. Can't find mod_webapp.so for Tomcat 4

9. LILO with Award BIOS

10. Yamaha OPL3, A20, HIMEM.SYS, LILO, RH 5.0, Award BIOS

11. lilo and award bios

12. PS/2 mouse & AMI plug & play bios

13. Plug and Play and BIOS - confused