parallel port zip drive OR printer??

Post by Dan LaMe » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed Red Hat 5.2 on my computer which has a Deskjet 6xxC
printer attached to a parallel port zip drive that is attached to the
computer. Is there any way that I can use both at the same time? Thanks
in advance.
--
Dan LaMee

Post by Rick Moe » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I recently installed Red Hat 5.2 on my computer which has a Deskjet 6xxC
: printer attached to a parallel port zip drive that is attached to the
: computer. Is there any way that I can use both at the same time? Thanks
: in advance.

No.  Possibly "yes" if you have them on _different_ parallel ports,
but I'm not sure.

The lp and ppa drivers conflict, in the sense of both trying to
grab the port's interrupt.  Or at least so I recall.  Ordinarily,
the best you can do is have both compiled as modules, and rmmod
one before you insmod the other.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

parallel port zip drive OR printer??

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently installed Red Hat 5.2 on my computer which has a Deskjet 6xxC
>printer attached to a parallel port zip drive that is attached to the
>computer. Is there any way that I can use both at the same time? Thanks
>in advance.

I dunno if Rick is right about not being able to use the printer and the zip
drive at the same time.  This is how it works: since the parallel interface
is "parallel" and not "serial" (bit after bit after bit), the parallel port
can send and receive data at 1 byte at a time.  The sequence of bytes is
determined by packets (once you have your printer feeding through the zip
drive).  Since the zip drive is intelligent enough to share the port, it
distinguishes the packets that are going to the printer from that going to
the drive.  The only caveat, however, is the drop in performance.

Save yourself the time - keep the printer on the parallel port and buy a
SCSI Zip drive with the Zip Zoom card for about $35.

 * Michael Lee Yohe                                   Office:      TH N318 *
 * UAH ASPIRE System Administrator                    Office: 256-890-6904 *
 * UAH CS Assistant Administrator                       Home: 256-828-2667 *

parallel port zip drive OR printer??

Post by Rick Moe » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I dunno if Rick is right about not being able to use the printer and the zip
: drive at the same time.  This is how it works: since the parallel interface
: is "parallel" and not "serial" (bit after bit after bit), the parallel port
: can send and receive data at 1 byte at a time.  The sequence of bytes is
: determined by packets (once you have your printer feeding through the zip
: drive).  Since the zip drive is intelligent enough to share the port, it
: distinguishes the packets that are going to the printer from that going to
: the drive.  The only caveat, however, is the drop in performance.

: Save yourself the time - keep the printer on the parallel port and buy a
: SCSI Zip drive with the Zip Zoom card for about $35.

At the time I last helped people with this stuff, the two drivers
_did_ conflict, but I just did some research this moring suggesting
that the situation has changed:

http://www.torque.net/~campbell/speed.html includes the following:

"Using the parallel port pass through for...

The Linux driver for the ZIP drive supports printers attached to the pass
through port for kernel versions greater than 2.1.35. At this point the
'parport' (parallel port sharing driver) was included.  The code is
rather dynamic (extra features are always being added, such as support
for attaching parallel port devices to non i386 Linux boxes) so it is
recommended to check.  A link can be found on the main Linux parallel
port device page."

More information at:
http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
rick (at) linuxmafia.com  MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis

1. ppa.c (ZIP drive) and Parallel Port printer together??

Reading thru the ppa.c insmod driver for Iomega's Parallel Port ZIP
drive tutorial at http://www1.aksi.net/jdebors/linux.html, I noticed that
it mentions that parallel printer support should be disabled in the kernel
before loading insmod ppa...

Is this true?

If yes, how do I get my printer on my parallel port working with ppa.c ?

Any ideas appreciated!

--
----
Avinash Chopde

home page: http://www.paranoia.com/~avinash/

2. SOL 251 Sendmail

3. Which kernel version for VFAT filesys and printer & zip drive support on same parallel port?

4. s3 trio 3d cards

5. Kernel with both printer and parallel port ZIP drive support??

6. Linux and OS/2 machines sharing a tape backup drive?

7. Parallel Port Zip Drive and Printer

8. pcmcia ethernet problem

9. parallel port printer and parallel port superdisk

10. please help: zip and printer sharing parallel port

11. Porting printer out of parallel ZIP

12. Parallel port zip and printer

13. Help, Printer with Parallel Zip Drive