Canon BJC-4100 printer: no color support in RedHat 4.1

Canon BJC-4100 printer: no color support in RedHat 4.1

Post by Dr. Edmund We » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

  I have recently installed Redhat 4.1 and attached a Canon BJC-4100
printer. Since the BJC-4100 was not listed, I selected the BJC-600/4000
entry. It works OK, except there is no color.  (Under WinNT it works
perfectly.) When I checked the printtool/printerdb file I saw a comment
stating that the programmer did not know how to make color work.

  Can anyone point me at a working driver? Thanks.

Post by Cris A. Fugat » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

>   I have recently installed Redhat 4.1 and attached a Canon BJC-4100
> printer. Since the BJC-4100 was not listed, I selected the BJC-600/4000
> entry. It works OK, except there is no color.  (Under WinNT it works
> perfectly.) When I checked the printtool/printerdb file I saw a comment
> stating that the programmer did not know how to make color work.

>   Can anyone point me at a working driver? Thanks.

I have a Cannon BJC-4200 and I use magicfilter with the printer filters
(comes with many) called epsonlq (for B/W) and epsonlqc (for color).
Works great, no complaints.  All you have to do it set up your
/etc/printcap file with two entries (one for B/W and one for color).

Cris Fugate

Post by Bob Nielse » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

>   I have recently installed Redhat 4.1 and attached a Canon BJC-4100
> printer. Since the BJC-4100 was not listed, I selected the BJC-600/4000
> entry. It works OK, except there is no color.  (Under WinNT it works
> perfectly.) When I checked the printtool/printerdb file I saw a comment
> stating that the programmer did not know how to make color work.

>   Can anyone point me at a working driver? Thanks.

The new printtool is pretty complicated to troubleshoot.  The one that
was in Red Hat 3.0.3 created simple filters.  Since the BJC-600 filter
wasn't listed, I installed one of the others and changed the device line
to bjc600 and also changed the appropriate resolution.  That printed
color fairly well, although I thought it was fairly dark, compared to
printing under Win95 with the Canon-supplied driver.

Since upgrading, I have tried both the new and old filters and it seems
that neither now prints color.  I assume there is some error when
ghostscript was compiled for the ghostscript-3.33-4.i386.rpm.  There is
a ghostscript-4.0x rpm in the RedHat /contrib directory which might work
better.  I find that 4.0x caused errors when printing files generated by
WordPerfect (running in dosemu,) so went back to the older version (99%+
of my printing is with the black cartridge anyway.)  I might have been
using gs 4 when I printed color with 3.0.3, by the way; it was a while
ago and don't remember the exact setup.

I am forwarding a copy of this reply to the redhat mailing list, as
someone there might have a better suggestion.  You should consider
subscribing to this list, as it is probably your best source of Red Hat
support.

Bob

--

                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen

Canon BJC-4100 printer: no color support in RedHat 4.1

Post by Rik Cros » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

I also have a Cannon 400 printer with redhat 4.1.  I was wondering how
to get it to print any any mode other than fine.

Rik

Post by Ian Teste » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

> I also have a Cannon 400 printer with redhat 4.1.  I was wondering how
> to get it to print any any mode other than fine.

> Rik

> >  I have recently installed Redhat 4.1 and attached a Canon BJC-4100
> >printer. Since the BJC-4100 was not listed, I selected the BJC-600/4000
> >entry. It works OK, except there is no color.  (Under WinNT it works
> >perfectly.) When I checked the printtool/printerdb file I saw a comment
> >stating that the programmer did not know how to make color work.

> >  Can anyone point me at a working driver? Thanks.

well,
        I don't know what Redhat is doing, but the driver for ghostscript
(for the bjc-600) does support colour printing. I'm using Slackware with
a bjc-4100 printer, and it does work. I wouldn't know where to start on a
redhat system, so my setup probably wouldn't be of much use to you.

(I thought one of the uses of Linux was to get away from restrictive,
myopic GUI's ;)

bye

8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
                           Ian Tester, *8)#

http://athene.mit.csu.edu.au/~iteste01/           finger or key server

Caffeine not found, programmer aborted.

Post by Peter Gro » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

>> I also have a Cannon 400 printer with redhat 4.1.  I was wondering how
>> to get it to print any any mode other than fine.

>> Rik

>> >  I have recently installed Redhat 4.1 and attached a Canon BJC-4100
>> >printer. Since the BJC-4100 was not listed, I selected the BJC-600/4000
>> >entry. It works OK, except there is no color.  (Under WinNT it works
>> >perfectly.) When I checked the printtool/printerdb file I saw a comment
>> >stating that the programmer did not know how to make color work.

>> >  Can anyone point me at a working driver? Thanks.

>well,
>    I don't know what Redhat is doing, but the driver for ghostscript
>(for the bjc-600) does support colour printing. I'm using Slackware with
>a bjc-4100 printer, and it does work. I wouldn't know where to start on a
>redhat system, so my setup probably wouldn't be of much use to you.
>(I thought one of the uses of Linux was to get away from restrictive,
>myopic GUI's ;)

I have a BJC-4100 and RedHat 4.1 Linux. The ghostscript version and
printer drivers that work with the print admin tool (in the control
panel) are not the most recent. Go to the ghostscript home page and get
the latest version. I get very nice output from postscript.

--
peter gross

+1.303.440.5520