> I have set up two new user on our SuSe Linux mailserver using the
> useradd [username] -s /bin/false -p [password] command. I add the
> users to the virtusertable and execute the "make" command to compile
> the virtusertable.db. I test the new accounts by telneting to the
> mailserver using USER [username} and PASS [password} I get a "Bad
> Login" message. I went and checked the passwd file and an entry exist
> for the new users but in the shadow file, their passwords are in
> cleartext instead of being encrypted? Help! What can I do to get the
> new logons to work?
Otherwise, do not use -p but set the password afterwards with passwd.
If you want, you can use -p `crypt [password]` to obtain the pass an encrypted
password, or you can use passwd username AFTER the creation to insert the
crypted password in /etc/shadow.
see man useradd for more info.
echo "$1" |openssl passwd -1 -stdin
I have also found "pwgen" useful to generate good (but pronouncable)
Hope this helps!
> > for the new users but in the shadow file, their passwords are in
> > cleartext instead of being encrypted?
> That's normal. If you use useradd ... -p [password] the [password] is
> used as password without being encrypted, it is supposed to be already
> If you want, you can use -p `crypt [password]` to obtain the pass an encrypted
> password, or you can use passwd username AFTER the creation to insert the
> crypted password in /etc/shadow.
> see man useradd for more info.
1. /etc/shadow password encrypted and not
Can someone give me a reason why when using RedHat's User Manager, new
accounts have the password encrypted in /etc/shadow, but users created
with useradd at the command line have clear text passwords in ..shadow?
Is there a way to set a password at the command line that comes over as
encrypted in shadow?
2. LOCAL: Houston Group Meeting
3. Encrypting passwords for in /etc/shadow
4. Network Components evalution site.
5. Reading Shadow encrypted password of a user
6. RedHat 5.2 PPP setup a little more help Needed please
7. scoadmin -> Account Manager -> Users -> Add New Users breaks /etc/password symlink
8. kde2 starts instead of kde3 after reboot?
9. SHADOW passwords won't work after new /etc pkg
10. Batch creation of new user accounts with passwords
11. password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied
12. HELP: NIS w/shadow password and password aging, etc
13. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map