HELP: partition problem with WD 1.2G hd

Post by Derek Kaneshi » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Help!

I have a partition problem allocating space to install Linux.  When I run fdisk
and list my partitions, I get this:

Device  Boot    Begin   Start   End     Blocks  Id      System
        *       1       1       2099    1057667+ 54     unknown
partition 1 does not start on cylinder boundary:
        phys= (0, 0, 2) should be (0, 1, 1)
partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
        phys= (253, 11, 53) should be (253, 15, 63)

fdisk (linux) is not letting me create a partition for Linux so I was
wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?  I have a WD 1.2G
hd and am at the linux partition stage.  I don't know what this means and was
wondering if anyone has come across the problem!?  Any help would be greatly
appeciated!

Derek

Post by Derek Kaneshi » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Help!

I have a partition problem allocating space to install Linux.  When I run fdisk
and list my partitions, I get this:

Device  Boot    Begin   Start   End     Blocks  Id      System
        *       1       1       2099    1057667+ 54     unknown
partition 1 does not start on cylinder boundary:
        phys= (0, 0, 2) should be (0, 1, 1)
partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
        phys= (253, 11, 53) should be (253, 15, 63)

fdisk (linux) is not letting me create a partition for Linux so I was
wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?  I have a WD 1.2G
hd and am at the linux partition stage.  I don't know what this means and was
wondering if anyone has come across the problem!?  Any help would be greatly
appeciated!

Derek

HELP: partition problem with WD 1.2G hd

Post by Peter Y » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>fdisk (linux) is not letting me create a partition for Linux so I was
>wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?  I have a WD 1.2G
>hd and am at the linux partition stage.  I don't know what this means and was
>wondering if anyone has come across the problem!?  Any help would be greatly
>appeciated!

Here is the answer to your problem.  I believe they are the only options you
have as far as I know. So you just have to pick one.  If you read this news
group frequent enough, you might already find the answer.  Anyway, the problem
is that Linux can not read any HD that has been set up by Disk Manager (by
Ontrck). I believe you used DM (Disk manager) in order to access more than 528
MB in DOS partitions.  Once you did that, there is no way for you to set up
Linux in that drive.  Here are the options you have.  (1), take out the DM,
which means re-partition re-formate the HD, then just use the first 528 MB as
your DOS partition, then the rest 700+ MB as you Linux partition.  I guess you
won't like this like I do.  I had the exact same drive, so this option is out
of question.  Then (2), upgrade your Bios to the one that support LBA mode.
LBA is a new protocol that just came out when the EIDE came out to address
the 528 MB limitation.  If you have a flash bios, you may want to contact your
vendor that sold you the system for an upgrade.  If you don't have a flash
bios, then you should call 800-800-BIOS and ask to see if them have a newer
version of your BIOS.  That company carries all the major brand of BIOS.  If
your BIOS doesn't have a newer version like I do, you have to use the third
option. (3), while you are at the phone with the company above, you can buy a
BIOS extension card that plugs into any ISA slot, and act as your bios which
support LBA.  I think it costs like $80 if I remember it correctly.  I know,
it is  quite expensive, but you want to get your HD to work right?  I spent a
day to think about it and decided to purchase it.  After you insert the card,
or new bios, everything should work just fine.  You can fdisk in DOS without
DM, you can fdisk in Linux all you want without any problem.  So that is all
your options.  Take care.

--Peter

1. HELP: partition problem with WD 1.2G hd

Help!

I have a partition problem allocating space to install Linux.  When I run fdisk
and list my partitions, I get this:

Device  Boot    Begin   Start   End     Blocks  Id      System
        *       1       1       2099    1057667+ 54     unknown
partition 1 does not start on cylinder boundary:
        phys= (0, 0, 2) should be (0, 1, 1)
partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
        phys= (253, 11, 53) should be (253, 15, 63)

fdisk (linux) is not letting me create a partition for Linux so I was
wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?  I have a WD 1.2G
hd and am at the linux partition stage.  I don't know what this means and was
wondering if anyone has come across the problem!?  Any help would be greatly
appeciated!

Derek

2. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

3. Passing arguments to sed and awk

4. WD 1.2G HD Partition Problem

5. Doc/fs/proc.txt (bdflush) for 2.4.19-rc

6. WD 1.2G HD setup...

7. PPP in minicom and kpppd but not in console

8. #HELP# WD 1.2G+ontrack disk manager=Linux OR dos !!

9. #HELP# WD 1.2G+ontrack disk manager=Linux OR dos !!!

10. HELP needed installing Linux on a WD 1.2G EIDE Hard Drive

11. Win95 and Dos on 1.2G HD, 2 Primary partitions?

12. Linux fdisk cant decifer my partitions: 3.1 WD HD