K desktop problem

Post by J D Weinstei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have encountered a locked up K Desktop.  First, all of the icons are
blacked out.  Second, when I try to open a window, the contents are
gone and I can't close the window.  Next, when I try to shutdown,
the Preparing Session..... message won't finish, so I try to reboot
with the turbo re-boot switch.
After the reboot, the following message....
hdc2 not cleanly unmounted....

LILO will make it to the start window, but he window is smaller.

What do I need to do...
Thanks

K desktop problem

Post by Peter Moo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I have encountered a locked up K Desktop.  First, all of the icons are
>blacked out.  Second, when I try to open a window, the contents are
>gone and I can't close the window.  Next, when I try to shutdown,
>the Preparing Session..... message won't finish, so I try to reboot
>with the turbo re-boot switch.
>After the reboot, the following message....
>hdc2 not cleanly unmounted....
>LILO will make it to the start window, but he window is smaller.

First, in Linux, re-booting is a _last_ option. I've had it happen, but only when doing
things like tweaking harddrive settings. If everything seems frozen-up, you have at least
two options:
  1. Press CTRL-ALT-Backspace.   This will kill (and restart) the X-server, which is
basically the program that lets Linux display graphics. This will solve most problems
most of the time.
  2. If that doesn't work, press CTRL-ALT-F1 -> F6 to jump between "virtual terminals" 1
through 6. F7 is usually assigned to your default X session (where KDE is running). These
terminals let you log in in text mode, where you can at least type "halt" to properly
shut down the machine (or you can fix things or stop running programs if you know
how...). Each virtual terminal is a lot like a different xterm window.

As far as KDE, try going to your home dir (type "cd"), and deleting your kde directory. I
can't remember if it's "kde" or ".kde", but you can use "ls -a" to find out. Use "rm -rf
kde" or "rm -rf .kde" depending on which it is. Finally, go to your X screen (if you
aren't allready there) by doing CTRL-ALT-F7, and restart it CTRL-ALT-Backspace. You will
lose some KDE settings, but this should reset everything to the defaults.

Hope that helped.
-Peter