UMSDOS?

Post by Bill » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is there anyway to install any "popular" Linux (RedHat,Caldera,Mandrake,
Debian, Slackware, or TurboLinux) on a dos FAT32 partition running Windows?

In the past, I've used WinLinux, ZipSlack (a smaller Slackware,) and PHat
Linux.  These are UMSDOS Linuxes, but they aren't the same as the regular
distributions.  I have RedHat 6.1, though I don't think it can without
partitioning my hard-drive, which is practically impossible to do with my
drive, which is way higher in capacity than the maximum supported drive (I
have the new IBM 37.5 GByte 5400 RPM Disk.) In addition does anyone know how
to setup a true (not UMSDOS) Linux on such a large disk- I have Partition
Magic?
Thanks.

UMSDOS?

Post by Armando Cern » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Is there anyway to install any "popular" Linux (RedHat,Caldera,Mandrake,
>Debian, Slackware, or TurboLinux) on a dos FAT32 partition running Windows?

>In the past, I've used WinLinux, ZipSlack (a smaller Slackware,) and PHat
>Linux.  These are UMSDOS Linuxes, but they aren't the same as the regular
>distributions.  I have RedHat 6.1, though I don't think it can without
>partitioning my hard-drive, which is practically impossible to do with my
>drive, which is way higher in capacity than the maximum supported drive (I
>have the new IBM 37.5 GByte 5400 RPM Disk.) In addition does anyone know how
>to setup a true (not UMSDOS) Linux on such a large disk- I have Partition
>Magic?
>Thanks.

Well I am not sure about the UMSDOS stuff, but as far as the partitioning of
the 32 gig drive goes I think I can help.  I have a 27 gig maxtor hard drive
and installed windows on it first giving it the whole partition to start out
with then I loaded up my copy of partition magic.  What you need to do is
resize the fat32 partition, BE CAREFUL TO MAKE THE FREE SPACE AT THE
BEGINNING OF THE DRIVE.  I type this all in caps to save you a lot of pain and
suffering.  When you finish with it it should boot into dos mode and do its
thing, then install your linux  and make your partitions with the freespace you
made by resizing the partitions.  DON'T make your linux stuff past 1024
cyliners it won't be able to boot windows becuase its past the 1024 cylinders.
AFAIK windows is fine with* over the 1024 cylinders just as long as it
can be included somewhere within it.  If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Armando