Linux-Partion Problems

Post by judi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,I am having a few problems with my computer
I have partioned my harddisk into 4 partions
ie
when i run fdisk i get the following table
current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition status  type    volume label Mbs system usage
  1         A     Non-Dos              913         45%
  2               Non-Dos               87          4%
c:3               PRI DOS    RIAZ      902   FAT16  45%
  4               EXT DOS              110           5%

Total Disk space is 2012
(I have made the Non Dos partion(ie loaded Linux there) active now.
Theoritically,When i reboot the system the linux should run
However My problem is When I  reboot the system
Win'95(The o/s that i have loaded in C:\ drive)is started (or is run)
Has anything happened to the harddisk/to the linux
Has it got corrupted.
Previouly it was working fine.
I guess I made a few forgetabble changes to Bios setup
for curiosity.I dont remember the chages made.
What could be worong ?
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Riaz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linux-Partion Problems

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi,I am having a few problems with my computer
>I have partioned my harddisk into 4 partions
>ie
>when i run fdisk i get the following table
>current fixed disk drive: 1

>Partition status  type    volume label Mbs system usage
>  1         A     Non-Dos              913         45%
>  2               Non-Dos               87          4%
>c:3               PRI DOS    RIAZ      902   FAT16  45%
>  4               EXT DOS              110           5%

>Total Disk space is 2012
>(I have made the Non Dos partion(ie loaded Linux there) active now.
>Theoritically,When i reboot the system the linux should run
>However My problem is When I  reboot the system
>Win'95(The o/s that i have loaded in C:\ drive)is started (or is run)
>Has anything happened to the harddisk/to the linux
>Has it got corrupted.
>Previouly it was working fine.

Something must have changed the active boot partition to #3 so that is
where it boots.  Either that or you had LILO in the MBR and it got
overwritten with some sort of Windows update or virus checker.  It would
probably work best if LILO is on one of the Linux partitions and check if
that partition is still marked as the active boot partition.

You can change the boot partition from either Windows FDISK or Linux
fdisk.  However in Linux fdisk it is a toggle, so you also have to toggle
off any other partition that is currently active.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. DOS/Linux Partion Problems

I have an IBM 730-687545F 90Mhz pentium that I just got a new WD 4.3G hard
drive for so I could turn it into a DOS/Linux dual boot.

The problem:

I can make at least 3 primary partitions of DOS, Linux, or both without
problems (using either Linux cfdisk exclusively, or making the DOS
partition with DOS fdisk).  Obviously, I'd rather have extended/logical
partitions as well, but I cannot get this to work.

DOS fdisk gives me the error, "Error reading fixed disk." whenever I
create a combination of DOS/Linux primary partitions and extended/logical
partitions of either type.

Here are some of the different procedures I have tried (fdisk always =
DOS fdisk, cfdisk=Linux):

* Use fdisk to create Primary DOS and 2 logical DOS, leaving 2G untouched
for Linux, boot into linux, use cfidsk to create primary linux/swap/some
logical partitions.  Reboot into DOS, find that the DOS logical drives are
now nonexist; run fdisk, get "Error reading fixed disk".

* Use fdisk to create Primary DOS only;  then cfdisk to create Linux
primary; then tried to use fdisk to create DOS extended/logical, but got
an error saying something like "No more space on disk" even though fdisk
listed the sizes of both DOS and Linux primaries, which accounted for only
30% of the drive.

* Use fdisk to create Primary DOS only, then cfdisk to create Linux
primary, swap, extended/logicals.  Boot into DOS and get the fixed disk
error.

* Use fdisk to create Primary DOS only, then cfdisk to create Linux
primary, linux extended/logical, and DOS logical.  Boot back into DOS and
get fixed disk error.

* Use fdisk to create primary DOS and extended with logicals to occupy
remainder of disk.  Then use cfdisk to delete DOS extended/logicals and
replace with Linux primary and logicals.  Boot into dos, same fixed disk
error.

* Same as above, only changed DOS logicals to Linux logicals with cfdisk
"Type".  Same problem.

In summary, I can have both a DOS primary and a Linux Primary (and either
a Linux primary swap or additional DOS or Linux primary) and both DOS and
Linux seem to work well.  However, as soon as I try to use any logical
drives (or extended partitions) of either DOS or Linux, then the fixed
disk error occurs.  (Without any linux partitions, fdisk works fine with a
primary DOS and multiple DOS logicals.)

I've tried all of the above partitioning procedures using both PC-DOS 7.0,
and MS-DOS 6.2 and encountered the same results.

Help.

--Robyn Wagner

2. What release of X Windows is is Solaris?

3. Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning

4. Removing a route from the routing table.

5. Problems creating partions using LINUX fdisk (DOS, OS/2 and Linux).

6. INND exited on signal 11

7. Re-partioning Extended partion

8. Help updating glibc2.1.2 !

9. disk partions (iI am installing 3 OS'es, need > then 4 partions)

10. Partioning problems with Linux Mandrake 7.2 beta 3

11. Problem Installing Linux from another disk partion...?

12. HDD (partioning?) problems

13. SPARC partioning problem