Gnome reporting PII chip as Celeron?

Post by <l.. » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I've installed RedHat with Gnome.  The "About Gnome" applet, reports my
chip as being of the i686 class, from Intel, but of the model name
"Celeron (Mendocino)".  What I bought (and what the computer-boot screen
says when I turn it on) is that I've a PII 366 .

What's causing the difference here?

                                                -yL

Gnome reporting PII chip as Celeron?

Post by Daniel Pe » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Im new here and Im just taking a shot in the dark at what might be
wrong
but, I know that the BIOS on my computer ( Abit BM6 ) can be told what
kind
of processor is in it.  I don't know if this would in turn tell GNOME
what
chip you have or if GNOME would scan for this itself.  Have you looked
at
the actual chip to see what you have so you?  If you bought the
computer
pre-built you might have been had if you paid P2 prices.
--
Not all things that count can be counted
and not all things that can be counted

Quote:> Hello,

> I've installed RedHat with Gnome.  The "About Gnome" applet, reports my
> chip as being of the i686 class, from Intel, but of the model name
> "Celeron (Mendocino)".  What I bought (and what the computer-boot screen
> says when I turn it on) is that I've a PII 366 .

> What's causing the difference here?

> -yL

Gnome reporting PII chip as Celeron?

Post by Heinz Günthe » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If you start Linux, it also tells you, which processor you've got

My Linux S.U.S.E 6.1 and also the older do so.
Before you log in, you can scroll  (on SUSE) with Shift-PgUp and Shift-PgDn
all the screens you did not see
ther my systems show accurate CPUS, 1 with Celeron-Mendocino, 1 with PII, 1
with Pentium 586,
all corresponding with correct assembled CPU, so I think, if it also tells
Mendocino you may
ask your dealer, if he want to be shot

Heinz from Hamburg, Germany
---------