VIA VT8235 sound not working

Post by Alo » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:21:49

Hi,

I recently bought an ECS L7VTA-L motherboard, providing onboard sound
through a VT8235 southbridge. Most of the board's functionality was
unavailable with the 2.4.18 kernel that came with Debian Woody, so
I downloaded the patches and upgraded all the way to 2.4.21-pre4,
with Alan Cox's ac4 patch thrown in for good measure. Most of the
stuff is now working (including DMA, which boosted my HD performance
in a frankly astounding way), but I still have some issues with
the sound configuration.

According to the kernel documentation, support for the VT8235 chip
is in for 2.4.21, and a quick perusal of /drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.c
confirmed that. I recompiled with sound support as a module, and booting
went smoothly. modprobe via82cxxx_audio loads the module and dependencies
perfectly, and assigns it a free IRQ. However, I can't get any sound
out of the speakers. I checked whether it was a mixer issue, since volume
too low by default is among the known bugs, but aumix -v 100 didn't help.

I'm at a loss for alternatives. I am quite sure it can't be a driver or
device problem, since the usual tests (cat foo.au > /dev/dsp) run without
errors, but I checked the hardware and it seems fine (no, I do not have
windoze so as to test it). I must be missing an incredibly stupid detail,
but I am enough of a newbie to need someone to point it to me. ?Any
takers?

TIA,

Alon

Post by Andreas Klaue » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:09:05

> I must be missing an incredibly stupid detail,
> but I am enough of a newbie to need someone to point it to me.

Well, an incredibly stupid detail would be, like, you've deactivated onboard
sound in the bios. Or, even more stupid, though your board has a VT8235
bridge, onboard sound is realized using some other chip (seems to be the
case on my board), and you need a totally different driver for it...

--
    -Andreas Klauer-

VIA VT8235 sound not working

Post by Dave Stanto » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:44:47

One.

Quote:

> Well, an incredibly stupid detail would be, like, you've deactivated onboard
> sound in the bios. Or, even more stupid, though your board has a VT8235
> bridge, onboard sound is realized using some other chip (seems to be the
> case on my board), and you need a totally different driver for it...

As also seems to be the case with a ECS K7S5A mb that I have.

Dave
--

To Contact me on email, (fill in the dots)

klatu AT clara co uk

VIA VT8235 sound not working

Post by Bret » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:51:54

I also have the onboard 8235 chip in my Red Hat 7.3 machine of an
Albatron MB. I compiled the same kernel as you and I do have sound now.
Can play mp3 etc. but sound in games is very choppy (gets cut off as if
the drivers can't handle too many sounds playing at once). If you would
like a copy of my kernel build config file send me an email. I do hear
that ALSA drivers work but I would like to stick with OSS at this time.
  Anyone else get successful sound with OSS and this chip?

Brett

Post by Alo » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:07:50

> I also have the onboard 8235 chip in my Red Hat 7.3 machine of an
> Albatron MB. I compiled the same kernel as you and I do have sound now.

I said I must be missing something stupid, and so ti did.

It turned out that the output volume was *way* lower than I thought. I plugged
the line out to my wife's stereo and got sound, although it needs to be turned
almost to max volume to be heard. No wonder my desktop speakers got nothing out
of it. I thought about filing a bug, but this is stated in the kernel doc,
only I never thought the condition would be so extreme.

Thanks everybody,

Alon

1. Via VT8235 Sound Quality Problems

Hi All,
  First post here so forgive any group-related etiquette oversights.
I've searched the archives on groups.google.com and a lot of linux
forums to no avail.

  I have an Abit KD7 motherboard with integrated Via VT8235 sound chip
and am experiencing major quality problems. Upon installation of Suse
9.2 the soundcard worked but high frequencies are gone (or more
precisely, bumped down a few frequencies) so during any music with
high frequencies the sound it pretty garbled. Something like when you
play a badly compressed MP3 or ATRAC file. Some of the bass freqencies
are just gone. I recompiled the kernel (2.6.8) but it made no
difference. I upgraded to 2.6.10 - again, no effect. I've tried every
workaround for other VT82xxx cards listed on other forums but have got
no-where.

  I have a TV card (framegrabber) - Hauppauge WinTV. I don't use the
onboard WinTV sound chip for capture as it's mono only - I have the
output from my Set-top Box and Sony PS2 going directly into my
soundcard's Line In. When playing games on the PS2 or listening to
msuic on TV I don't seem to have any of those problems listed about.
This leads me to believe it's 100% driver or confiduration related.

  I'm currently using Suse 9.2 with a custom compiled kernel v2.6.10
(from kernel.org - not the Suse compiled one on Yast YOU). I'm using
ALSA v1.0.6

  I know kernel v2.6.11 is out with ALSA v1.0.8 but I've read nothing
about this making a difference. I'm going to update my kernel today.
I've had none of those problems under Windows. I'm surprised at the
level of hardware support under linxu today via 3rd party drivers - I
even got my Speedtouch ADSL modem working - it's just my soundcard
that's bringing down the experience now!

  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
  David C. Barker

2. anyone got the iBook2 internal modem workin?

3. Possible bug with Via VT8235 alsa sound driver

4. latest BIND ?

5. Via 8233 Sound not working

6. Got cards?

7. VIA VT616 (AC97 Audio chip on the P4PB 400 VIA M/boards) not working

8. perfmeter+rstatd

9. terminating x window session via cntrl+alt+backspace or thru via the menu does not work

10. Known problem in 2.5.42 with IO-APIC and VIA KT400/VT8235?

11. VIA KT400 & VT8235 support

12. some new phenomena with IO-APIC and ACPI on via kt333/vt8235

13. VIA vt8235 headache