setting up mail on Redhat Linux 5.2

setting up mail on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Steve Sanya » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00



I'm a cable modem user, and I have managed to set up Netscape's mail
program without difficulty.  However, what annoys me with it is that I
have to go and manually check my mail, and there is no way I can receive
new mail notification.

I'd like to use something like Xbiff to let me do this, but I have had
more than a little difficulty figuring out how to set up incoming POP3
mail in anything other than Linux.  I've configured accounts using
fetchmail, but sometiems this works, and sometimes it doesn't.
Moreover, after I use Netscape, it seems that fetchmail no longer
retrieves anything.

Perhaps sendmail is the way to go, but I am pretty lost as far as that
is concerned too, in terms of finding out about how to set up POP3
servers.

Can anyone give me a quick set of tips of what I need to do, or direct
me to a good site where I can find out.

Thanks

Steve

 
 
 

setting up mail on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Mark Topha » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00


I have been using the following multiplatform configuration now for weeks
and have had no problems.

I have my Linux box query all relevant mail servers (2 in this case, more to
be added) every so often using fetchmail. I did have a minor problem with
fetchmail failing to get mail, but I suspect network issues were at fault as
it has not failed in several weeks). Restarting it always fixed the problem.
(I was considering having it periodically killed and restarted (say, at
midnight) via cron. I did not do this though.

I have sendmail/SMTP configured for SENDING mail from my network. (No
external access, so no problems with relay issues).

I use Netscape a long with its notification utility on a Windows95 PC,
basically it just checks the mail on the local Linux box. No problems with
this.

Running a pop daemon on the Linux box, it is a 5 user version, sorry I don't
remember the product name off hand. 5 user version was free.

I do not recommend trying to access any POP accounts with multiple
applications, I have seen this create problems with many configurations,
even if one, or more of the clients are configured to not delete the email.

If this is the type of direction your trying to go let me know and I can get
some specific about the configuration.


> I'm a cable modem user, and I have managed to set up Netscape's mail
> program without difficulty.  However, what annoys me with it is that I
> have to go and manually check my mail, and there is no way I can receive
> new mail notification.

> I'd like to use something like Xbiff to let me do this, but I have had
> more than a little difficulty figuring out how to set up incoming POP3
> mail in anything other than Linux.  I've configured accounts using
> fetchmail, but sometiems this works, and sometimes it doesn't.
> Moreover, after I use Netscape, it seems that fetchmail no longer
> retrieves anything.

> Perhaps sendmail is the way to go, but I am pretty lost as far as that
> is concerned too, in terms of finding out about how to set up POP3
> servers.

> Can anyone give me a quick set of tips of what I need to do, or direct
> me to a good site where I can find out.

> Thanks

> Steve


 
 
 

setting up mail on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by David N. Murra » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00



> I'm a cable modem user, and I have managed to set up Netscape's mail
> program without difficulty.  However, what annoys me with it is that I
> have to go and manually check my mail, and there is no way I can receive
> new mail notification.

> I'd like to use something like Xbiff to let me do this, but I have had
> more than a little difficulty figuring out how to set up incoming POP3
> mail in anything other than Linux.  I've configured accounts using
> fetchmail, but sometiems this works, and sometimes it doesn't.
> Moreover, after I use Netscape, it seems that fetchmail no longer
> retrieves anything.

> Perhaps sendmail is the way to go, but I am pretty lost as far as that
> is concerned too, in terms of finding out about how to set up POP3
> servers.

> Can anyone give me a quick set of tips of what I need to do, or direct
> me to a good site where I can find out.

> Thanks

> Steve

I use fetchmail to pull my e-mail off their mail server.  It dumps it into
my local mailbox, using qmail.  I still have the same problem (I think):
I have to click 'Get Msg' to actually get it into my Inbox.  I'm using the
internal movemail protocol.  I'm leary of something just dumping it in on
its own.  I've had my share of problems when I 'just jump into pine for a
second' and forget that Netscape mail is open.  I imagine a biff would
notify my, by haven't bothered.

Dave

 
 
 

setting up mail on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Steve Sanya » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>I have my Linux box query all relevant mail servers (2 in this case, more
to
>be added) every so often using fetchmail. I did have a minor problem with

I added my WAVE account to fetchmail.  The POP3 and SMTP server names are
simply mail.  Previously, I got fetchmail to work, but I have not been able
to get it working at all after I reinstalled Linux.

Quote:>I do not recommend trying to access any POP accounts with multiple
>applications, I have seen this create problems with many configurations,
>even if one, or more of the clients are configured to not delete the email.

Unfortunately, this IS the way I want to go.  I leave my messages on the
server, because I prefer to boot up Windows NT and save all my mail in
Outlook Express (I find Netscape's mail program to be quite atrocious).

I'd liek to do the following
- continue to use Netscape on Linux to retrieve mail, but leave it on the
server
- use fetchmail to also retrieve the mail, and leave it on the server

I'll probably use Pine to read my mail.  Incidentally, I do not seem to be
able to set up my news servers, either :(

Steve

 
 
 

setting up mail on Redhat Linux 5.2

Post by Mark Topha » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00


fetchmail seems to be a decent program and handles most situations well, But I
think many POP servers do not handle it well when you leave mail on the server.
(Or in combination with bad clients and bad pop servers...)

Can you access the mail server using telnet (port 110 for pop service, it is
text based, so try it and see how it responds). I ask because you mentioned you
reinstalled Linux and couldn't get fetchmail working, maybe it is having problem
just seeing the server.

I am wondering if it is trying to attach a domain name to the hostname and
screwing it up for you.


> >I have my Linux box query all relevant mail servers (2 in this case, more
> to
> >be added) every so often using fetchmail. I did have a minor problem with

> I added my WAVE account to fetchmail.  The POP3 and SMTP server names are
> simply mail.  Previously, I got fetchmail to work, but I have not been able
> to get it working at all after I reinstalled Linux.

> >I do not recommend trying to access any POP accounts with multiple
> >applications, I have seen this create problems with many configurations,
> >even if one, or more of the clients are configured to not delete the email.

> Unfortunately, this IS the way I want to go.  I leave my messages on the
> server, because I prefer to boot up Windows NT and save all my mail in
> Outlook Express (I find Netscape's mail program to be quite atrocious).

> I'd liek to do the following
> - continue to use Netscape on Linux to retrieve mail, but leave it on the
> server
> - use fetchmail to also retrieve the mail, and leave it on the server

> I'll probably use Pine to read my mail.  Incidentally, I do not seem to be
> able to set up my news servers, either :(

> Steve

 
 
 

1. Should I need to buy new box set of RedHat Linux 5.2?

I have already had a box set (3 CD-ROM) of RedHat Linux 5.1.  I found that
there is
a new version of RedHat Linux 5.2 now.  Therefore, I do not know whether I
should buy
a new box set of RedHat Linux 5.2 or not.  If it is not necessary, which
files should
I download from FTP site?

Thank you very much..

Best Regards,
SuperFire.

2. PPP BSD Compressors...

3. Problems setting up printing on Redhat Linux 5.2

4. lpd fix for remote users

5. Local mail problem Redhat 5.2 (SMTP transaction error)

6. about GGI...

7. Best price on Redhat 5.2? mail order?

8. Hehe, Here I am again..

9. Best Mail Order price on Redhat 5.2?

10. How to read mail/news using Netscape on Redhat 5.2 ????

11. redhat 5.2 mail

12. Can someone please send me the RPM for xf-mail that works with Redhat 5.2