tar- can't list files

Post by Jerry Reha » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Does anyone know why I can't list the files contained in a tar file?
I'm using tar -t /dev/st0.  I tried --list and using a regular tar file
instead of the tape device.

Thanks...

tar- can't list files

Post by Ashwin Biha » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Does anyone know why I can't list the files contained in a tar file?
> I'm using tar -t /dev/st0.  I tried --list and using a regular tar file
> instead of the tape device.

the command line to list the files in a tar file is;

tar -tvf <filename.tar>..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The address above has the words NOSPAM, to stop just that, please     |
|       reply to the address in this box, if you have to at all!              |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

tar- can't list files

Post by Tom Dale » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Does anyone know why I can't list the files contained in a tar file?
> I'm using tar -t /dev/st0.  I tried --list and using a regular tar file
> instead of the tape device.

> Thanks...

Try "tar -tf /dev/st0".

tar- can't list files

Post by Alfredo Ja » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Hello,

: Does anyone know why I can't list the files contained in a tar file?
: I'm using tar -t /dev/st0.  I tried --list and using a regular tar file
: instead of the tape device.

Just a guess... Try 'tar tvf /dev/st0'

--
Alfredo Jahn

http://www.wn.com/per/alfredo/

1. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

I friend of mine managed to use the tar cf comamnd when he wanted to
do a tar xf. He stopped it when he realized what he had done
but obviously tar now doesn't believe the file is there.
Is there anyway to extract, at least partially, the contents of
the tape? Perhaps with dd?

Thanks,

Craig Barnes

2. xmosaic and a screen dump

3. tar, list of files and files with spaces in the name

4. pcmcia ethernet card

5. How to extract file from 'uuencoded gzip tar file'?

6. ABI and libiberty

7. using a list file to extract files from a tar archive

8. CDR's and Linux

9. Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

10. tar: 0511-180 can't tar files with prwxrwxrwx attributes???

11. It's not bad canned meat...

12. ''tar' file system