"Unable to open initial console" Error

Post by Alex Parfeno » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
I get "Unable to open initial console" Error message from recompiled
kernel on a 586 16M computer during boot, right after it mounts the
drives (then computer just hangs). I have tried including and excluding
various options in kernel, but nothing has helped. Notice: the original
installation kernel ( from boot.i - slackware dist) works fine.
If you can help me in anyway, please reply, also, if you know where i
can find  kernel's make's .config files for various distribution boot
disks, that would be helpful. In other words i would like have .config
file for the installation version of the kernel and then modify it, as
opposed to starting from scratch with blank .config file

Thanks in advance,
Alex Parfenov

Post by William Murph » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I get "Unable to open initial console" Error message from recompiled
> kernel on a 586 16M computer during boot, right after it mounts the
> drives (then computer just hangs). I have tried including and excluding
> various options in kernel, but nothing has helped. Notice: the original
> installation kernel ( from boot.i - slackware dist) works fine.

    <snip>

I had the same message and it turned out that /etc/lilo.conf had
an error in it.

Good Luck

William Murphy

1. Error message "unable to open an initial console"

Hi,

I compiled kernel version 2.0.21 on a system that was happily running 2.0.12
before, and now it won't boot, giving the above message instead of starting
init. The system will run the old kernel just fine. I found no Documentation
about this and no kernel configuration option.

What gives?

(If it matters: The system has an AMD 5k86-P90 CPU.)

(Is this a scheme by someone who sells terminals? :))

- Daniel
--
Forward In All Directions!
http://cyclone.snafu.de/

2. Logrotate

3. Help with Kernel error: "Unable to open initial console."

4. OK I would like to buy solaris for X86 but where.

5. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

6. Solaris 8 disk & database performance question on Ultra 10 vs. Sun Blade 1000

7. "Unable to open a initial console" message

8. Expert Linux advice

9. How to correct "Unable to open an initial console"?

10. Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

11. NFS root : get "Unable to open initial console"

12. "Unable to open an initial console" on boot

13. Boot problems -- Suddenly "unable to open initial console"