Installing on a hd with a corrupted partion table

Post by Nicholas Leipp » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I'm trying to install rh5.1 on a hard disk which has a corrupted partion
> table.  When I boot up, there are a few errors when linux checks the
> hard disks, but they scroll by to fast for me to read exactly what they
> say.  When I go through the setup dialogs and select either fdisk or or
> disk druid, I get the following error:

> An error occured reading the partion table for the block device hdx.
> The error was :: no such file or directory.

> If I choose to go along the upgrade path, the install program will scan
> my hard disks then fail with the message:

> Install exited abnormaly -- recieved signal 11.

> I'm not sure if this is because of the bad blocks or because there is
> nothing to upgrade.

> I have windows 95 on hda and am trying to install rh on hdc; if I
> attempt to use fdisk in dos to repair hdc, it locks up when I elect to
> change to the disk I wish to partion, probabley because it can't read
> the partion table.

> It seems that I can't partion a disk with a bad table and I cannot fix a
> disk unless I can read the table.  Is there a way I can work around
> this?

> Thanks,
> John Fjarlie

Here's an idea, but only an idea, and if you try it, tread very, very
lightly:

Boot into linux from the install cd, and switch to a vterm.  use dd to wipe
the bad partition's sector on hdc, then go back and see if fdisk will then
work with a -completely- blank disk.  remember, it's just an idea.  If you
try it, read all of the man pages and howto's thoroughly first.  I don't
gaurantee anything.  Hopefully someone else on this newsgroup has more
info... and/or a better idea.

A second, even more dangerous approach may be to use dd to read the
partition sectors from hda and then write them to hdc.  Even though the
parameters are wrong, maybe that would be enough to get fdisk to work and
then you'd just have to write over it with valid parameters.  Again, just
an idea with no gaurantees.

Nick

http://www2.et.byu.edu/~leippen/

1. Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:25:08 GMT, Matthew Planchant

What does fdisk or cfdisk say about the partition table layout?

The amount of mounted usable space will vary depending on how the
filesystems are initialized, since the filesystem overhead will vary.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.psherwin.strayduck.com

2. DSL bandwidth problems... Help!

3. HD partition table corrupted

4. 2.2.6 doesn't boot on a 386?

5. disk partions (iI am installing 3 OS'es, need > then 4 partions)

6. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

7. Help, install corrupts partition table

8. Redhat 2.1 CD is corrupt?

9. Cannot Install RH7.1 - Partition Table Corrupt !

10. installing linux on hdd with "corrupted partition table"

11. Red Hat install corrupts partition table

12. help me dos partion corrupted

13. Partion Table unknown on PC Card?