LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

Post by Paul Dwerryhou » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

G'day all...

I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem like this...

I've got two machines running slackware 3.3, and have found that lpd doesn't
start properly on bootup on the print server machine.

For example: if I boot the machine with the printer on it, whilst LPD _is_
running, any attempt to print gives the following:

stubbsy /home/paul 13 > ps -aux | grep LPD
daemon     101  0.0  4.4  1412   676  ?  S   14:20   0:00 LPD
stubbsy /home/paul 14 > lpr .cshrc
stubbsy /home/paul 15 > lpq

 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: no server active

 Rank   Owner/ID                   Class Job  Files               Size Time

Now, if I unspool the job, kill LPD, then restart it with /usr/sbin/lpd,
any prints after that work fine (ie, my printcap file is configured
correctly).

Has anyone had a problem like this before? I didn't ever have any problems
with lpd back before slackware started supplying LPRng..

Cheers,

Paul.

--

"The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page publishing, threatens to
reverse the trend towards illiteracy among the supposedly educated without at

LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

Post by Eddie Seymo » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

In this news thread Paul Dwerryhouse commented:

Quote:>G'day all...

>I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem like this...

>I've got two machines running slackware 3.3, and have found that lpd doesn't
>start properly on bootup on the print server machine.

>Has anyone had a problem like this before? I didn't ever have any problems
>with lpd back before slackware started supplying LPRng..

I think the Slackware 3.3 (as at www.cdrom.com) comes with the LPR/LPD
from FreeBSD instead of the LPRng. I took the LPRng package off my 3.2
and added the 3.3 package for LPR?LPD from CDROM.COM. No more problems
with print!
--
Eddie Seymour, WB4MLE

1. Printer spool won't start-lpd/lprng

Here's the problem:
During boot when services are started, it just hangs on "Starting
printer spooler", and hangs until I turn off the printer. If I try to
start the spooler from /etc/init.d it says "Starting printer spooler"
without any pause, but it's not started!
If I try to print direct to port with the lprngtool, it works, but the
postscript and ascii don't even get a flashing light.

It worked fine a little while ago, then I screwed up my /var
permissions, but now they are fixed but printing still doesn't work.
I've unstalled (purged) lpd and installed lprng, then the other way
around, and finally ended up with lprng again, but it just doesn't
work!
What else is there to check?  Yes, I read the printing howto.
Thanks,
Jon

2. Microtek X6el w/ aic7xxx

3. GnomeICQ problem - works but won't start properly

4. HELP: Apple Display Connector (ADC) and YDL 2.0

5. PCI USB + SlackWare 8.1 won't work... properly

6. Ultra 2 won't reboot after shutdown

7. Network Card Won't Start on Bootup!!

8. Can you do THIS in Windoze?

9. rc2.d daemon won't start on bootup