Can't umount /usr - device is busy

Post by Gary Huntres » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 09:54:44

I want to grow my /usr partition using the gnu partition editor parted.   I
have to unmount /usr, but I'm getting the error "device is busy".    Should
I force the umount?   That seems to be intended for remotely mounted
filesystems not local ones, so I avoided that.

Is there another way to cleanly umount /usr?   There is no one else logged
in, but I'm not in single user mode.

--
Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress

Post by Steve Marti » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 10:15:34

> I want to grow my /usr partition using the gnu partition editor parted.   I
> have to unmount /usr, but I'm getting the error "device is busy".    Should
> I force the umount?   That seems to be intended for remotely mounted
> filesystems not local ones, so I avoided that.

> Is there another way to cleanly umount /usr?   There is no one else logged
> in, but I'm not in single user mode.

Usually, this message means that someone (presumably you, since
you're the only one logged on) has a shell open where the
current working directory is /usr or some sub-directory
under /usr. The system won't let you umount a partition if
it's active.

If you're cwd is /usr, try changing out of /usr (perhaps
to /root) and then try unmounting.

Can't umount /usr - device is busy

Post by Gary Huntres » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:38:13

Yes I've tried that.   I'm the only interactive user logged on, and I'm in
/root.  I tried using fuser -v, it reports:

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/usr                 root     kernel mount  /usr

which doesn't help much.

Post by dbian.. » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 15:57:22

> Yes I've tried that.   I'm the only interactive user logged on, and I'm in
> /root.  I tried using fuser -v, it reports:
>                      USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /usr                 root     kernel mount  /usr
> which doesn't help much.

I had the same problem sometime ago, and finally discovered that
some library was used in /usr/lib. At current, I haven't sorted out
the problem effectively (it's a machine that I don't reboot a lot...
effectively, has not be rebooted since 4-5 months now...)

The problem is: if you remove /usr from /etc/fstab and hard-reboot,
it will boot and work, but as fast as you mount /usr, it will be
locked again!

The only way I know to solve the mess is... just shutdown the machine!

Davide

Post by Trond Aasa » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 19:00:27

> I want to grow my /usr partition using the gnu partition editor parted.   I
> have to unmount /usr, but I'm getting the error "device is busy".    Should
> I force the umount?   That seems to be intended for remotely mounted
> filesystems not local ones, so I avoided that.

> Is there another way to cleanly umount /usr?   There is no one else logged
> in, but I'm not in single user mode.

Try going to single user mode.
$ init 1
$ init S

Then you should not be using any files in /usr

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:23:43

>I want to grow my /usr partition using the gnu partition editor parted.   I
>have to unmount /usr, but I'm getting the error "device is busy".    Should
>I force the umount?

If you have to ask, don't.

Quote:>That seems to be intended for remotely mounted
>filesystems not local ones, so I avoided that.

Right.

Quote:>Is there another way to cleanly umount /usr?

[...]

Since many of the usually used system programs reside on /usr,
umounting it on a running (multiuser) is not possible. Change
the runlevel to 1, and then run parted, or boot from a rescue system
and run parted.

Michael

1. Can't umount /usr: device busy

Hi folks,

I've upgraded my Linux box to:
Linux-2.2.0
glibc-2.0.7pre6
I wanted to try something new: drop all libs in /usr/lib. Yes, even
libc.so and ld-linux.so

The system start works good. I can run the box. But when I try to
shutdown I get the "Can't umount /usr, device is busy". I've tried to
check if there are unkilled processes with a 'ps' in the shutdown
script, but there seem nothing left from /usr running. The only thing I
suspect still running is ld-linux.so, or some library part that is still
maped.

Does anyone know a solution to that. It's a bit annoying to have a
systematic fschk on /usr on system startup. Perhaps there is something
more to do than 'killall5 -15; killall5 -9' in the shutdown script, but
I can't figure out what is missing. There is the call to 'sync' before
the 'killall5'.

Thanks,
Markus

--
A designer  knows  he has achieved perfection  not  when there is
                                         Antoine de Saint-Exupry

            http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Foothills/9297

2. custom coloring for ls -l

3. umount: /usr: device busy

4. faq

5. "umount: /usr: device is busy" on reboot...

6. Help accesssing user passwords

7. question on best "Linux" Internals book

8. can't umount /usr (busy?)

9. can't umount, /usr busy

10. Can't umount,Device is busy

11. umount: /dev/{device}: device is busy

12. umount: /usr busy