Perls dynamic loading fails for Linux.

Post by Dale L. Wil » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I can't get Dynamic Loading to work with perl on my Linux box.  I'm
experianced with Unix, but I'm new to this ELF stuff.

I'm using SlackWare 3.0 (ELF) and the perl source that came with it. (5.01m)

If I run the test perl/t/lib/anydbm.t (or any other lib test) I get:

  perl: can't resolve symbol 'stack_base'
  perl: can't resolve symbol 'na'
  perl: can't resolve symbol 'stack_sp'
  perl: can't resolve symbol 'sv_yes'
  perl: can't resolve symbol 'markstack_ptr'
  Can't load '../lib/auto/Fcntl/Fcntl.none' for module Fcntl: Unable to
    resolve symbol at ../lib/DynaLoader.pm line 450.

   at ../lib/Fcntl.pm line 64
  BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./lib/anydbm.t line 11.

An 'nm' on ./lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a reveals that all of thoes labels
are in DynaLoader.o.

If I write a C program to do a dlopen on DynaLoader.a I get:

  '/usr/home/wiles/perl5.001m/lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a' is not an
    ELF file

I'm guessing that I've got a compiler flag which is wrong.

If anyone can tell me what the flags should be, or just point me to a
config.sh that generates the correct code for Linux I could sort it out
myself.

                                Many Thanks,
                                        Dale
--

Disclaimer: I'm right, you're wrong, so disclaim this!!! <Rude hand gesture.>

1. Perls Script fails when called from cron scheduler

I have a simple perl script used to rebuild dictionary
for speech recognition. This script is run on SCO OpenServer.

My dillema is that when I execute this script through command line
as e.g. ./perl_testc. The program will run error free. However when
I call it from the cron scheduler it will fail with a message indicationg
it could not locate a specific file within a path.
Although. this message is not posted by the script.
It is part of one of the executables.

By the way, the script does start of OK and fails after a few minutes,
when started from cron.

e.g.

30 12 * * * /u/exe/perl_testc    will fail to complete.

$ cd /u/exe
$ ./perl_testc    will run OK and error free

It seems it has something to do with the environment.

Any suggestions.

Hasmukh Daji

2. Sco Professional(2.0.1) and OSR 5.0

3. dynamic loading: linker bug w.r.t. --export-dynamic ?

4. Solaris 8 - Maintenance Update 7 problem

5. dynamic loading vs. dynamic linking

6. ipfilter

7. Orinoco wifi driver fails load on startup but can load it manually

8. Prism mercury and XWindows

9. Does Perl5.001 dynamic-load in Linux? How?

10. dynamic module loading with Apache + Linux

11. Dynamic Link/Loading for Linux.

12. Dynamic loading of libpthread on Linux RedHat 6.2, SIGSEGV on dl_close

13. Linux loading error - dynamic linker?