lilo dual boot woes

Post by Eric Gofort » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:44:41

Hello,

I've recently installed a new hdd and am having problems booting from the
Windows 98 SE partition on my old hdd.  I have RH 7.1 Linux installed on
my new hdd and old hdd.  Here is what my lilo.conf currently looks like:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=80
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=linux
verbose=5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1
        append="hdd=ide-scsi"

other=/dev/hdb1
        optional
        label=win

I added the verbose=5 and replaced "linear" with an "lba32".  I was
getting a "loading win" message followed by a L?L? message.  Using
partition magic, I got rid of the /boot partition on my old hdd
(/dev/hdb).  This stopped the L?L? message, but it still hangs at the

My /dev/hdb is a Maxtor Model 52049U4.  It has a
J50 jumper, which when set to on is "Master/Single" and off is "Slave".
I don't see anything about a "Cable select" mode.

Currently the jumper is off.  BIOS says that /dev/hdb is 39703 cylinders,
16 heads, LZ = 39702, and Sector = 63.

With Jumper 50 on, and my /dev/hda disconnected my system will boot right
into Win98.  Any suggestions for how I can get my system to dual boot
without doing this?

Thanks,
Eric

lilo dual boot woes

Post by Brent Haa » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:03:57

> Hello,

> I've recently installed a new hdd and am having problems booting from the
> Windows 98 SE partition on my old hdd.  I have RH 7.1 Linux installed on
> my new hdd and old hdd.  Here is what my lilo.conf currently looks like:

> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=80
> message=/boot/message
> lba32
> default=linux
> verbose=5

> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
>    label=linux
>    read-only
>    root=/dev/hda1
>    append="hdd=ide-scsi"

> other=/dev/hdb1
>    optional
>    label=win

> I added the verbose=5 and replaced "linear" with an "lba32".  I was
> getting a "loading win" message followed by a L?L? message.  Using
> partition magic, I got rid of the /boot partition on my old hdd
> (/dev/hdb).  This stopped the L?L? message, but it still hangs at the

> My /dev/hdb is a Maxtor Model 52049U4.  It has a
> J50 jumper, which when set to on is "Master/Single" and off is "Slave".
> I don't see anything about a "Cable select" mode.

> Currently the jumper is off.  BIOS says that /dev/hdb is 39703 cylinders,
> 16 heads, LZ = 39702, and Sector = 63.

> With Jumper 50 on, and my /dev/hda disconnected my system will boot right
> into Win98.  Any suggestions for how I can get my system to dual boot
> without doing this?

> Thanks,
> Eric

I believe that because you are trying to boot Windows 98 (DOS) from the
second hard drive--it doesn't like that.  I think you need the option
"table=/dev/hdb1" for win.  I may be wrong.

Remove the verbose=5 line--when you run lilo, it will scroll every
little detail about what it is doing (it won't make much sense anyway).

What is the output you are getting from lilo when you re-run it after
changing lilo.conf (with the verbose=5 removed)?  (You are re-running it
aren't you?)

HTH,
Brent

lilo dual boot woes

Post by S. Par » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:01:25

>> Hello,

>> I've recently installed a new hdd and am having problems booting from
>> the Windows 98 SE partition on my old hdd.  I have RH 7.1 Linux
>> installed on my new hdd and old hdd.  Here is what my lilo.conf
>> currently looks like:

>> boot=/dev/hda
>> map=/boot/map
>> install=/boot/boot.b
>> prompt
>> timeout=80
>> message=/boot/message
>> lba32
>> default=linux
>> verbose=5

>> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
>>        label=linux
>>        read-only
>>        root=/dev/hda1
>>        append="hdd=ide-scsi"

>> other=/dev/hdb1
>>        optional
>>        label=win

>> I added the verbose=5 and replaced "linear" with an "lba32".  I was
>> getting a "loading win" message followed by a L?L? message.  Using
>> partition magic, I got rid of the /boot partition on my old hdd
>> (/dev/hdb).  This stopped the L?L? message, but it still hangs at the

>> My /dev/hdb is a Maxtor Model 52049U4.  It has a J50 jumper, which when
>> set to on is "Master/Single" and off is "Slave". I don't see anything
>> about a "Cable select" mode.

>> Currently the jumper is off.  BIOS says that /dev/hdb is 39703
>> cylinders, 16 heads, LZ = 39702, and Sector = 63.

>> With Jumper 50 on, and my /dev/hda disconnected my system will boot
>> right into Win98.  Any suggestions for how I can get my system to dual
>> boot without doing this?

>> Thanks,
>> Eric

> I believe that because you are trying to boot Windows 98 (DOS) from the
> second hard drive--it doesn't like that.  I think you need the option
> "table=/dev/hdb1" for win.  I may be wrong.

> Remove the verbose=5 line--when you run lilo, it will scroll every
> little detail about what it is doing (it won't make much sense anyway).

> What is the output you are getting from lilo when you re-run it after
> changing lilo.conf (with the verbose=5 removed)?  (You are re-running it
> aren't you?)

> HTH,
> Brent

He has to put "map-drive", too. And hdb.

other=/dev/hdb1
  optional
  label=win
  table=/dev/hdb
  map-drive=0x80
    to=0x81
  map-drive=0x81
    to=0x80

Regards.

lilo dual boot woes

Post by Eric Gofort » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:54:26

Hello,

I've tried the table = hdb and table = hdb1 stuff and I still can't boot
into Windows.  I'm thinking about switching the two drives on my IDE
cable, making the one that's master slave and vice versa.  So, I'd need
to install lilo in the mbr of the Windows drive.

I've created a 50 Meg freespace at the beginning of this hdd to create a
Linux /boot partion.  How would I go about installing lilo here?  Would
disconnecting the linux drive rebooting with a linux floppy so that I
only have the Windows drive connected and doing a:

lilo -C pathtomyliloconffile/lilo.conf

fix it.  I'd have to basically reverse the two sections in my lilo.conf
file.

Thanks,
Eric

>> Hello,
>> I've recently installed a new hdd and am having problems booting from
>> the Windows 98 SE partition on my old hdd.  I have RH 7.1 Linux
>> installed on my new hdd and old hdd.  Here is what my lilo.conf
>> currently looks like:  boot=/dev/hda
>> map=/boot/map
>> install=/boot/boot.b
>> prompt
>> timeout=80
>> message=/boot/message
>> lba32
>> default=linux
>> verbose=5
>> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
>>        label=linux
>>        read-only
>>        root=/dev/hda1
>>        append="hdd=ide-scsi"
>> other=/dev/hdb1
>>        optional
>>        label=win
>> I added the verbose=5 and replaced "linear" with an "lba32".  I was
>> getting a "loading win" message followed by a L?L? message.  Using
>> partition magic, I got rid of the /boot partition on my old hdd
>> (/dev/hdb).  This stopped the L?L? message, but it still hangs at the
>> My /dev/hdb is a Maxtor Model 52049U4.  It has a J50 jumper, which when
>> set to on is "Master/Single" and off is "Slave". I don't see anything
>> about a "Cable select" mode.  Currently the jumper is off.  BIOS says
>> that /dev/hdb is 39703 cylinders, 16 heads, LZ = 39702, and Sector =
>> 63.  With Jumper 50 on, and my /dev/hda disconnected my system will
>> boot right into Win98.  Any suggestions for how I can get my system to
>> dual boot without doing this?
>> Thanks,
>> Eric

> I believe that because you are trying to boot Windows 98 (DOS) from the
> second hard drive--it doesn't like that.  I think you need the option
> "table=/dev/hdb1" for win.  I may be wrong.  Remove the verbose=5
> line--when you run lilo, it will scroll every little detail about what
> it is doing (it won't make much sense anyway).  What is the output you
> are getting from lilo when you re-run it after changing lilo.conf (with
> the verbose=5 removed)?  (You are re-running it aren't you?)
> HTH,
> Brent

lilo dual boot woes

Post by Brent Haa » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 09:20:45

> Hello,

> I've tried the table = hdb and table = hdb1 stuff and I still can't boot
> into Windows.  I'm thinking about switching the two drives on my IDE
> cable, making the one that's master slave and vice versa.  So, I'd need
> to install lilo in the mbr of the Windows drive.

Did you try what S. Park posted? He suggested the following:

other=/dev/hdb1
  label=win
  table=/dev/hdb
  map-drive=0x80
    to=0x81
  map-drive=0x81
    to=0x80

This swaps the drives so Windoze thinks it is booting off the first
drive, when in reality it isn't.

Quote:

> I've created a 50 Meg freespace at the beginning of this hdd to create a
> Linux /boot partion.  How would I go about installing lilo here?  Would
> disconnecting the linux drive rebooting with a linux floppy so that I
> only have the Windows drive connected and doing a:

> lilo -C pathtomyliloconffile/lilo.conf

> fix it.  I'd have to basically reverse the two sections in my lilo.conf
> file.

Lilo installs itself in the boot sector of a partition or master boot
record (MBR).  I'm not sure what you're trying to do by disconnecting
the Linux drive--you shouldn't have to do this.  I don't know what
version of Lilo you are using, but the reason for a /boot partition at
the beginning of the drive was to allow Lilo access to the kernels,
because it couldn't access beyond the 1024th cylinder.  This is no
longer true (but I don't know which version you are using).  This
partition would only contain what is now in your /boot directory, so I
don't think this would help.

Let me know if the comment from S. Park works.  If it doesn't, I'd need
to know more about how you have both drives partitioned.

HTH,
Brent

> Thanks,
> Eric

>>>Hello,
>>>I've recently installed a new hdd and am having problems booting from
>>>the Windows 98 SE partition on my old hdd.  I have RH 7.1 Linux
>>>installed on my new hdd and old hdd.  Here is what my lilo.conf
>>>currently looks like:  boot=/dev/hda
>>>map=/boot/map
>>>install=/boot/boot.b
>>>prompt
>>>timeout=80
>>>message=/boot/message
>>>lba32
>>>default=linux
>>>verbose=5
>>>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
>>>    label=linux
>>>    read-only
>>>    root=/dev/hda1
>>>    append="hdd=ide-scsi"
>>>other=/dev/hdb1
>>>    optional
>>>    label=win
>>>I added the verbose=5 and replaced "linear" with an "lba32".  I was
>>>getting a "loading win" message followed by a L?L? message.  Using
>>>partition magic, I got rid of the /boot partition on my old hdd
>>>(/dev/hdb).  This stopped the L?L? message, but it still hangs at the
>>>My /dev/hdb is a Maxtor Model 52049U4.  It has a J50 jumper, which when
>>>set to on is "Master/Single" and off is "Slave". I don't see anything
>>>about a "Cable select" mode.  Currently the jumper is off.  BIOS says
>>>that /dev/hdb is 39703 cylinders, 16 heads, LZ = 39702, and Sector =
>>>63.  With Jumper 50 on, and my /dev/hda disconnected my system will
>>>boot right into Win98.  Any suggestions for how I can get my system to
>>>dual boot without doing this?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Eric

>>I believe that because you are trying to boot Windows 98 (DOS) from the
>>second hard drive--it doesn't like that.  I think you need the option
>>"table=/dev/hdb1" for win.  I may be wrong.  Remove the verbose=5
>>line--when you run lilo, it will scroll every little detail about what
>>it is doing (it won't make much sense anyway).  What is the output you
>>are getting from lilo when you re-run it after changing lilo.conf (with
>>the verbose=5 removed)?  (You are re-running it aren't you?)
>>HTH,
>>Brent

1. fix lilo dual boot woes

Subject: lilo dual boot woes

I've recently installed a new hdd and am having problems booting from the
Windows 98 SE partition on my old hdd.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric...
I use LILO 2 with slackware 7 and 8 but I think this will work with
the latest LILO 2.1.75 as well.
I'm sure John Coffman didn't change these commands as they're handy.

We can use them to trick LILO into putting itself on the MBR of the
second HD if needed. As usual, linux should be up front on /dev/hdb1.

I use this trick with two SCSI HDs on an old NCR with MCA buss that
boots the HDs from ID6 down to ID0. When LILO gets there, it sees
sda as sdb and vice versa! So I tell LILO to boot=/dev/sdb
and swap the bios assigns like this...
disk = /dev/sdb
 bios = 0x80
disk = /dev/sda
 bios = 0x81
Then LILO doesn't whine...

Try this...
# LILO global section
### add this ###
disk = /dev/hda
 bios = 0x80
disk = /dev/hdb
 bios = 0x81
### W9x on 2nd HD
 other = /dev/hdb1
  label = win
### add this ###
  map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80
###
Then try lilo -v -t -C lilo.new to test it. If lilo doesn't whine
take the -t out and do it...
GL John

2. Directory access with wu-ftpd

3. LILO dual-boot woes with RH6.2...

4. "No usable keyboard alias"

5. RH7.3 lilo dual boot woes

6. ~root != /

7. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

8. TCSH: FreeBSD doesn't like it anymore??

9. Dual Boot RH6.0 w/ NT4.0 LILO vs. boot.ini vs. ???

10. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

11. LILO vanished on win/lin dual-boot, boot disk gives kernel panic

12. Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

13. Dual Booting Linux w/o LILO (Boot Disk)