bois related install problems???????

Post by afta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Cannot install red hat 5.2

have a qaudtel bios by phoenix technologies.(version 2.01s)

keep on getting CRC error VFS: c annot open root device 08:22
                        Kernel Panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:22

after some experimentation I find that the bios control sequence seems to be
causing the problems.

Bios takes control of shadowing the system from ROM to RAm and same for
VIDeo
also one can enable and disable sytem memory cache via the bios.

when the bios is set to shadow the system and video into ROM instead of ram
the booting disk works fine until I get to the section on making partitions
and hey presto its a kernel panic take cover!!

WHat are the technical reasons for this and how can I get around this

any help appreciated, thanks

bois related install problems???????

Post by ajama.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I actually ran into the same problem a few days ago, but haven't found a
solution yet.  In my case, I get the message:

Not found any [active partition] in HDD
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

just like if is was a new machine without any OS installed.  My plan was
to reset the BIOS, but I was looking for a better solution.  Previously
this hard drive was used as a secondary drive.  All the jumpers were set
correctly, but the BIOS seems to be trying to boot from wrong block, or
at least that is my assumption.  The HDD can be boot without any problem
using a boot disk, so definitely there is no failure.  Any comments?

Regards, ajam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

bois related install problems???????

Post by afta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Cannot install red hat 5.2

> have a qaudtel bios by phoenix technologies.(version 2.01s)

> keep on getting CRC error VFS: c annot open root device 08:22
>                         Kernel Panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on
08:22

> after some experimentation I find that the bios control sequence seems to
be
> causing the problems.

> Bios takes control of shadowing the system from ROM to RAm and same for
> VIDeo
> also one can enable and disable sytem memory cache via the bios.

> when the bios is set to shadow the system and video into ROM instead of
ram
> the booting disk works fine until I get to the section on making
partitions
> and hey presto its a kernel panic take cover!!

> WHat are the technical reasons for this and how can I get around this

> any help appreciated, thanks

1. bios related install problem????

Cannot install red hat 5.2

have a qaudtel bios by phoenix technologies.(version 2.01s)

keep on getting CRC error VFS: c annot open root device 08:22
                        Kernel Panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:22

after some experimentation I find that the bios control sequence seems to be
causing the problems.

Bios takes control of shadowing the system from ROM to RAm and same for
VIDeo
also one can enable and disable sytem memory cache via the bios.

when the bios is set to shadow the system and video into ROM instead of ram
the booting disk works fine until I get to the section on making partitions
and hey presto its a kernel panic take cover!!

WHat are the technical reasons for this and how can I get around this

any help appreciated, thanks

2. Princeton Graphics EO900

3. aic7xxx- related install problem... ?!

4. Mouse protocol weirdness

5. bios related install problem????

6. tape utils

7. iptables woes - may be RELATED related :)

8. How much of CPU is using a process

9. Solaris 8 Companion CD java-related install error

10. Where to install TeX input files in TeX-related rpm package

11. relating an install of RH8 experience

12. Anyone like to relate experiences installing linux on 386?

13. 3 Redhat related questions (5.0 / Alpha) 1 install 2 - PPP