Latex/dvips/lyx help!

Post by Mark Levi » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

  Hi.  I'm trying to get Lyx working on my Slackwarer 3.0 system.  It seems
to run fine unless I try and print :(.

  The problem seems to be with dvips.  If I tell Lyx to print to the
printer, it runs the document through tex, but dvips stops witha message
about not finding a configuration file for my printer (lp).  BTW, there IS a
printcap entry for lp.  It runs "magicfilter" and I have no problem printing
ascii text or postscript to me HP deskjet.

  Now, if I tell Lyx to print to a file (filename.ps), dvips seems to get a
bit farthur.  However, it still bombs out with a message about not being
able to find a scecific font.  I DO, however, have the font it is looking
for.  The font shows up in /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/tmp/pk/CanonCX, but dvips
can't seem to find it.

  I know almost nothing about how this system is supposed to work, and I
can't figure out where it's even looking for the files it needs.

  If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.  I've tried installing
every TeX package I could (except the obviously unneeded ones like unusual
fonts.)  I've looked at every man page I could think of.  The dvips man page
says to look in dvips.texi, which I don't have...

                    Mark E. Levitt
    Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University

         Home Page:  http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint =  B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE  F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

1. help needed setting up printer/LaTeX/Lyx

I have a Panasonic KX-P2123, an old 24-pin dot matrix printer. I'm sick
of the plain output from 'cat mytext > /dev/lp1' and would like to get a
real printing system set up here. My printcap entry is correct, and I've
set the PRINTER environment variable to 'panasonic', but when I try to
run a file through lpr it  complains so:

   'lpr: cannot create /usr/spool/lp/panasonic/.seq'

Do I need a magic filter for my printer ? Where do I find it ? Is anyone
else using such a machine ?

I also want to set up LaTeX and Lyx, but do I need to install TeX as
well ? I apologize for my simple-mindedness, but I'm tired of not having
really cool print output from my Linux system, and I do NOT want to
return to Win95 for good printing. I know next to nothing about TeX, but
I am familiar with mark-up languages and I'm willing to take the plunge
if it'll get me better-looking documents.

== Dave Phillips

   http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html

2. ethernet and IP masq.

3. Could someone help with lyx/latex/tex?

4. Internet site management for Solaris

5. Lyx/dvips problem

6. Quirky Problems

7. Lyx/dvips and printing: config.Printername

8. Problem Connecting to ISP

9. LaTeX: dvi500, dvi550 can't find fonts (dvips OK)

10. Font problem in dvips and latex

11. LyX <-> LaTeX

12. Printing Type1 fonts, Lyx, AUIS, Latex

13. LyX, Latex, epsfig.sty...