Real Audio Problems: crashes with "signal 11" - what does it mean ?

Real Audio Problems: crashes with "signal 11" - what does it mean ?

Post by Andrew M. Sarang » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to get Realaudio 3.0 to work on my linux machine, and so far I
have had no success. I am running Slackware 3.2 (with Linux 2.0.29)
with a sounblaster compatible soundcard on a 486 machine.

I was getting nothing but lots of noise from my speakers from Realaudio.
Then someone told me that I should enable the 8-bit sound option
on realaudio (since my card might be 8-bit, being old). After doing
that, now realaudio crashes with "signal 11" whenever I try to play the
"welcome.ra" message that came with realaudio. I am not sure what "signal 11"
means.

I believe my kernel is properly configured for my soundcard because
I can play sound files by cat /dev/audio > soundfile.au. It works fine. Also
realaudio 3.0 works fine on Windows 95 on the same machine. This all leads
me to believe that the error I am getting is due to bug in Realaudio.

Any comments ?

      http://www/bitwizard.nl/sig11
      http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/GCC-SIG11-FAQ

--

1. RH5.0 Install problems ("Signal 11")

I'm trying to install RedHat 5.0, and it fails every time.
I'm installing off a FAT16 partition, and it gets all the way to the point
where it's processing the RPMS directory (just after you tell it where to
find the stuff), and then it dies with a message "install exited
abnormally -- received signal 11"... then it gives a couple messages about
sending kill signals to the system, and says I can safely reboot.

The system I'm installing on is this:

(Clone) Pentium/166, ASUS P55TVP4 M/B, 128 MB EDO, WD Caviar 3.1GB drive
(auto setup by BIOS as LBA,Mode 4, 3166MB), Diamond Stealth 3D 2000, Intel
EtherExpress Pro/10+.

The source partition is a 500 meg FAT16 partition starting at the beginning
of the drive.  Then I have a approx. 2 gig NTFS partition and then the last
partition on the drive is the Linux native & swap partitions.

So far the only thing I can think of is the LBA mode (maybe it needs to be
normal instead?), the number of cylinders (BIOS is reporting a bit over 6000
cyls in LBA mode), ... the linux partitions are definitely way past 1024.
I'm trying to avoid switching the drive from LBA to NORMAL unless absolutely
necessary since I'd have to do a loooooot of reinstalling :-).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Dave Stults
stults at engr dot orst dot edu. (Anti-spam defensive measure)

2. Swapping an 18GB disk from an Ultra 1 to an Ultra 60

3. 2.1.xx and "Signal 11" problems

4. Server Side Includes with User Authorization (NCSA AuthUserFile)

5. Since when UNIX is the "real" system that runs the "real" machines?

6. Still not there -

8. xconsole

9. Real Audio 3.0/Solaris - "Can't open audio device"

10. Red Hat 6.2 Installation - "received signal 11" error

11. Installing - "Recieved signal 11"

12. X+32meg+xv = "caught signal 11, server shutting down!"