Sorry, the modem is busy - problem

Post by Hoyt » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm using RedHat 5.2 with KDE. I was able to properly configure my modem and
used kppp to set up and dial the connection. It worked fine for two days
(still works under Win98 and BeOS) and then quit, giving the message "Sorry,
the modem is busy" with kppp and minicom (it used to work, too.

Obviously, some file somewhere has changed. I can't detect another program
running that would be tieing up the modem. What should I look at?

If I can't track it down, is it useful to remove ppp and kppp and reinstall
them?

Any advice?

Hoyt

Post by Sydney Weidma » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I'm using RedHat 5.2 with KDE. I was able to properly configure my modem and
> used kppp to set up and dial the connection. It worked fine for two days
> (still works under Win98 and BeOS) and then quit, giving the message "Sorry,
> the modem is busy" with kppp and minicom (it used to work, too.

> Obviously, some file somewhere has changed. I can't detect another program
> running that would be tieing up the modem. What should I look at?

> If I can't track it down, is it useful to remove ppp and kppp and reinstall
> them?

> Any advice?

> Hoyt

An application might have died without removing the lock file for the modem. Go
to /var/lock/ and see if there is a file there like LCK..cua1 or whatever your
serial device is. Delete that file then try again.

Hope this helps.

1. problem seting up modem SupraExpress 56iPro: "Sorry, the modem is busy"

I have problems setting up my modem. This is a PCI Diamand
SupraExpress 56i Pro (Diamond multimedia Systems), standard on a
Compaq Presario 5722. I have installed Redhat Linux 6.1. (next to
Win98, using Lilo on MBR).

Info, from Win98 (My Computer - properties):
 - It is on Com2 (02f8): (do /dev/ttyS1, also /dev/modem by link).
 - IRQ 11(for DOS: IRQ3)

When using minicom (after minicom -s for setting up), nothing appears
on the screen when using ATZ or AT&V.

Using kppp, when selecting "querying modem" it says "Sorry, the modem
is busy"

I'm new to Linux, and any help/tip is more than welcome at this stage!

I hope I've given enough info - if not: let me know.

Regards,
Theo

2. Socket API source code

3. Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

4. how to change linux kernel to copy the ramdisk from anywhere?!

5. PCMCIA modem: "Sorry, the modem is busy."

6. NIS+ security levels??

7. Sorry, I am too busy for the FAQ.

8. httpd 1.5a and public_html

9. kppp problem - "Sorry, the modem is busy"

10. Sorry, modem busy message at KPP

11. Sorry, Modem is busy

12. sorry, the modem is busy???

13. "Sorry, the modem is busy"