CONTEST !! : Almost LINUX in almost 2Mb

Post by tjeer.. » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

------ CONTEST,  WIN A HOLOGRAM -------

For real cracks here comes a real challenge...

I'm trying to setup Linux in a 386 with 2 Mbytes of memory. I have a
distribution of slackware on my HDD that works on a 4Mb machine.

Booting from harddisk didn't work, Probably the generic kernel is too
big. So I made a new bootdisk with a newly compiled kernel.

Booting now succeeds until the login prompt. Except for the fsck.
Fsck quits because it's not able to allocate memory for a inode table.

After logging in, I can run most built in shell commands. But external
commands - which are executed by fork - gave the error :

"bash:fork:Try Again"

Here are a few data and figures:
AMIBIOS 1990 (Colorized BIOS SetupScreen)
AMD 386dx 40,
64kB cache,
2 MB main memory
including 384 kB shadow Ram.
Kernelsize: 502 kB (expanded)
Linux reports:
  "1020kB (free) 2048kB (total) 502kB(kernelsize) 384kB (reserved)
140kB (data)"

Switching between shadow ram on and off doesn't seem to matter. In
both cases the linux boot screen shows 384 kB reserved Ram.

Questions:
- What is the configuration for the smallest kernel (e.g. Can I leave
out the networking code (like TCP/IP etc.))
- Is there a CMOS-setting which really disables Shadow Ram?
- Is the shadowram the cause of memory problems?

The most succesfull contribution which leads to running linux on this
machine, wins a reflection full color rainbow HOLOGRAM (12 cm x 9 cm).

- THIS IS NO JOKE,  you'll get it -

Geert-Jan Plattl

CONTEST !! : Almost LINUX in almost 2Mb

Post by bill davids » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

In addition to shadow on/off, you *may* be able to put it at the end
of memory (although that may have happened, judging by your output).

Strip the kernel *way* down.

fsck should work, do you have swap allocated? If so, be sure it
enabled before you try fsck. Don't use too much swap space, the
tables take real RAM. Try 6M and work from there.

Run a cut down shell instead of bash.

And finally, why bother? You got it to boot, do you intend to do
anything useful with this?

Post by Holger Peters » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>------ CONTEST,  WIN A HOLOGRAM -------
>For real cracks here comes a real challenge...
>I'm trying to setup Linux in a 386 with 2 Mbytes of memory.

I have done it.
Installed a HD on a system with more MB.
Moved the HD to the 386-DX33 with 2 MB real RAm

Quote:>Booting now succeeds until the login prompt. Except for the fsck.
>Fsck quits because it's not able to allocate memory for a inode table.

Secret: I did mount a swap-partition of 12 MB.

Quote:>Kernelsize: 502 kB (expanded)

I do not know anymore; it was a Linux Version 1.08.

Quote:>Questions:
>- What is the configuration for the smallest kernel (e.g. Can I leave
>out the networking code (like TCP/IP etc.))

Depends on what you like to do...

Quote:>- Is there a CMOS-setting which really disables Shadow Ram?

depends on the board

Quote:>- Is the shadowram the cause of memory problems?

Yes and no. Probably the missing swap-partition.

>- THIS IS NO JOKE,  you'll get it -
>Geert-Jan Plattl

Greetings, Holger