Accounting on diald more specific possible.

Accounting on diald more specific possible.

Post by VanderBi » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello all,

After some juggling with FAQ's, dejanews and help from some very
friendly people, I finally got diald to work the way I want it. Now
there is one question that remains.

I set up an accounting log. But the only thing it accounts is the time
the link comes up, and of course goes down. It does not however record
_who_ has started the link. I mean that we have 4 computers on the
local net, and I sure want to know _who_ I can bill for my telephone
expenses  :)

Hope this is possible, and sure hope an answer to this, a solid
negative is good too, then at least I know what I'm up against.

From Holland,

Gert-Jan van de Bilt.

Post by Tim » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I set up an accounting log. But the only thing it accounts is the time
> the link comes up, and of course goes down. It does not however record
> _who_ has started the link. I mean that we have 4 computers on the
> local net, and I sure want to know _who_ I can bill for my telephone
> expenses  :)

If you turn on debugging you can get the info you need. Combined with
the accounting info, you should be able to track who is doing what. I
don't know if someone has already done it, but a perl script to filter
the logs and sift out the right stuff should be easy enough.

--
Tim Sweeney      Harborhi Consultants       Boothbay Harbor, Maine

Not valid in all 50 states.             Void where prohibited.
The contents of this post are for entertainment purposes only.

1. making diald ignore specific broadcasts from machine on local net

Help,

        I am having problems with setting up my diald filters to ignore
broadcasts from two machines on my network.  I have a windows NT
machine which periodically probes my local net for other microsoft
machines.  It is using port 137 I think.  I'm not sure but this probe
is causing diald to connect to the net and tries to send the broadcast
message.  Also I have a unix sun box on my local net which tries to
figure out who a bunch of addresses are, which also causes diald to
dial into the net.  I have my sunbox set up so that it is really on
two networks.  I think that diald is seeing probes to a net that is
not its local net , the second sunbox net, and send out the request.
My question is how can I set up filters in the diald.conf file to
ignore all broadcast to a certain address?

2. Does UUPC work with ODT 5?

3. Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 1 of 6)

5. Can't telnet in with specific user account

6. jumpstart and RAID-1 (mirror)

7. HELP: DAT should be useable by specific account (restricted shell, etc)

8. SMP-friendly memory tester

9. How to select specific mail accounts to receive postings with bulletin database (solaris - sendmail)

10. Possible to force ALL files created in a specific directory to include g+w ?

11. possible to scan a file and remove specific characters?

12. root account for specific users

13. Thread specific setlocale() possible??