Linux Installation Help!! Please Help :)

Linux Installation Help!! Please Help :)

Post by 00jsha.. » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to install the linux Slackware 3.0 software all day,
and I have finally turned to you, in hopes that one of you can help.

I created the boot disk just fine with bare.gz.  The screen loaded and
went through the initial loading procedures, and then it asked for
the root disk which I also downloaded and used "rawrite" to place them
on two seperate disks.  When I inserted the second disk, it read an
error with the .gz syntax, and proceeded to throw a lot ofnumbers on the
screen before finally halting and doing nothing.

I tried this again by leaving the color.gz (this is the file I downloaded
and used) in its zipped form and put it on the disk, however I didn't
notice any difference at all.  Lastly, I tried to put the bare.gz disk
in its initial zipped form, however Slackware never even booted; I ran
into a black screen that was unchanging, and forced to do a reboot.

I'm at my wits end and I have done nearly everything I can possibly think
of.  I would appreciate as much help as possible...please be as descriptive
as possible as I don't want to be confused.  Feel free to send me
directions from the start (I don't mind starting over, as long as I can
get this thing to work).

Thanks a lot...I would appreciate any help at all...please email either
a reply to this post or the address below.

Thanks a lot,

Jeff Hanks

Post by Paul Murp » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I tried this again by leaving the color.gz (this is the file I downloaded
>and used) in its zipped form and put it on the disk, however I didn't
>notice any difference at all.  Lastly, I tried to put the bare.gz disk
>in its initial zipped form, however Slackware never even booted; I ran
>into a black screen that was unchanging, and forced to do a reboot.

Did you rawrite color.gz to the disk?

bare should be expanded and rawrited,
color.gz should stay compressed and rawrited.

HTH

Muff

~~~~~~
As time divides, we watch, we wait...

1. HELP HELP HELP...pretty please :)

Hi all,

1)    Okay, my question is that I have a 4.3 gig Ultra DMA Hard drive.  Its
been partitioned into 3...(c: 2.0 gigs), (d: 1.3 gigs), and (e: 1 gig) okay
well, win95 is on c: and e: and on c: it takes up 659 megs...well I know
that Red Hat Linux 5.0 needs to be installed in the first 1024
cylinders...but I want to install RHL 5 on my d: drive (Im going to reformat
it for the Linux file system) however, can anyone tell me if lilo will work
with it setup like this?

2) I have a Nitro 3D, its a virge/gx pci card...ive heard that metro x(i
believe) doesnt work with this card..is that true? Does anyone have a
virge/gx that works with a X window?

3)Before I install RHL 5 do i need to download drivers for my cards (eg
soundblaster64, Nitro 3d, Network card, modem 56k Motorola PnP)?

Thank you in advance!

Emissary

http://vdpower.gamesmania.com/demoreviews

2. REMAKING KERNEL

3. Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

4. ADSL - Please help!!

5. Need networking help. Please help me :)

6. incremental rollback?

7. Redhat 5.0 Please please help :) How do i turn relaying protection off ?

8. /proc-mount (solved)

9. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

10. Linux Installation Problem, Help! :)

11. Linux installation newbie neds HELP :)

12. Help printing from WinXP to Linux via Samba...PLEASE :)