Redhat Linux, Win98 and WinNT in one computer

Redhat Linux, Win98 and WinNT in one computer

Post by Bill Piggot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There should not be a problem.  I am re-doing my system today with this
configuration (except I will be installing Win2k Pro RC1).  I am new  to
Linux but have installed multiple OS's before using Partition Magic.  I'll
let you know if I run into any problems and (hopefully) the fixes!

Bill Piggott

Quote:> Can it be done - if so...how? I heard that there have been some
> problems with NT and linux

Redhat Linux, Win98 and WinNT in one computer

Post by Chauzi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you want to install Win98 and NT, then you can't use NTFS.  You would have
to use Fat16 on both NT and Win98.  Then install Linux on top of these two.
Basically, the idea is to let Lilo (which will now reside in the MBR) boot
NT, and then let NT give you the option of booting NT or Win98.  Beware: Lilo
in the MBR is more difficult to remove.  You can't use Dos fdisk /mbr to kill
it.  But NT will kill it though.  So do some researching first.

 On Wed, 01 Sep 1999, Mark

Post by Mark McDougal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Can it be done - if so...how? I heard that there have been some
> problems with NT and linux

Piece of cake! I had an existing WinNT/Win95 dual-boot and simply
installed Linux and LILO over the top. Nothing to worry about!

Regards,

--
|          Mark McDougall          |

| http://www.zeta.org.au/~msmcdoug |
|  Technetium Development Pty Ltd  | "Electrical Engineers do it

Redhat Linux, Win98 and WinNT in one computer

Post by Your Nam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Forget about lilo and use the NT boot manager to boot
linux, it's a far tidier soloution.

Step 1,
Set up linux to boot from a floppy and remove lilo, use
"fdisk /mbr" from windows 95

Step 2,
Create an entry in the boot.ini file "C:\bootsect.lnx=Linux"

Step 3,
Boot up linux and create a boot sector image using:
"dd if=/dev/hdaX of=/bootsect.lnx count=1 bs=512"
where X = partion number

Step 4,
copy the newly created bootsect.lnx file to "C:\" under
windows and reboot

Step 5,
Choose your boot option!!

> > Can it be done - if so...how? I heard that there have been some
> > problems with NT and linux

> Piece of cake! I had an existing WinNT/Win95 dual-boot and simply
> installed Linux and LILO over the top. Nothing to worry about!

> Regards,

> --
> |          Mark McDougall          |

> | http://www.zeta.org.au/~msmcdoug |
> |  Technetium Development Pty Ltd  | "Electrical Engineers do it

Redhat Linux, Win98 and WinNT in one computer

Post by Mark McDougal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If you want to install Win98 and NT, then you can't use NTFS.  You would have
> to use Fat16 on both NT and Win98.  Then install Linux on top of these two.

*NOT* true at all! I have a FAT16 partition on C:, NTFS on D:, and linux
on 3 more partitions, all on the same physical drive.

Regards,

--

Post by David Crook » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > If you want to install Win98 and NT, then you can't use NTFS.  You would have
> > to use Fat16 on both NT and Win98.  Then install Linux on top of these two.

> *NOT* true at all! I have a FAT16 partition on C:, NTFS on D:, and linux
> on 3 more partitions, all on the same physical drive.

Perhaps what he meant was, you can't use Linux to access NTFS partitions
- this is still beta. Or that 98 doesn't like NTFS. Or that DOS/Windows
partitioning tools don't like there to be more than 1 non-extended
partition, but in fact the BIOS allows 3 and most Windows systems will
work happily with that.

Dave
--
David Crooke, Austin TX, USA. +1 (512) 656 6102
"Open source software - with no walls and fences, who needs Windows