NexGen 586MB - Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSIHA problem

Post by Mitch Bak » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I just recently upgraded from a i486sx2/66 to a NexGen 586/90 motherboard.
>I'm continuing to use my memory, I/O boards and the like.  The VLB boards are
>a 1MB ET4000/W32i video card and an Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSI-2 Fast adapter.

>DOS, Windows 95, and OS/2 installed and ran perfectly with the new
>motherboard.  But when I went to reinstall Linux I got the following screen
at
>the initilization of the SCSI host:

..snip..

Quote:

>IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ... ANY AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL ME (EVEN JUST TO
POINT
>ME IN THE DIRECTION OF SOMEONE WHO MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP) ... THANX IN

ADVANCE

I have run into similar problems.  I was able to get the Slakware 2.3.0 kernel
installed, but the setup program originally crashed when installing the C
compiler.  I had some luck moving the scsi id's of my devices around, now it
just crashes about halfway through the installation of X..  The error message
that I received was very much the same.  I was able to run this same
configuration with an earlier version of Slakware (2.1.0 or there abouts)
without incident.  The only variables thrown in are the Hercules Dynamite
(ET4000) video and a new 2.1 GB SCSI Hard drive from Conner.  After the crash,
I am still able to get to the hard drive, but am unable to get to the triple
speed NEC CDROM (which, of course has the Slakware CD).  Phoooeyy.

I'll keep beating on it.  Please let me know if you have any luck.

Mitch Baker

Post by Soenke Lan » Sat, 28 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I just recently upgraded from a i486sx2/66 to a NexGen 586/90 motherboard.
>I'm continuing to use my memory, I/O boards and the like.  The VLB boards are
>a 1MB ET4000/W32i video card and an Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSI-2 Fast adapter.

>DOS, Windows 95, and OS/2 installed and ran perfectly with the new
>motherboard.  But when I went to reinstall Linux I got the following screen at
>the initilization of the SCSI host:
>> aha274x: extended translation disabled
>> AHA284x AT SLOT 1:
>> irq 11
>> bus release time 40 bclks
>> SCSI CHANNEL A:
>>     scsi id 7
>>     scsi bus parity check enabled
>>     scsi selection timeout 256 ms
>>     scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
>> No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it.
>> Sorry.
>> scsi 0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x (EISA/VL-bus -> Fast SCSI) 1.28/1.11/1.29
>> scsi : 1 host
>> aha274x: target 0 now synchronous at 10.0 Mb/s
>> aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>> scsi : aborting command due to timeout pid 0, scsi0, id 0, lun 0 0x00
>> 00 00 00
>> 00 00
>> aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>> aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>I tried installing with both Slackware v2.2.0 (kernel 1.2.1) and v2.3.0
>(kernel v1.2.8) as well as with an older kernel v1.1.68 boot disk I created a
>long time ago.  Each time I got the same screen ...
>Adaptec (who, of course, continues NOT to support Linux) suggested that I
>might try slowing the VLB down to 33MHz, adding some VLB read/write wait
>states, and DMA wait states.  After hours of countless combinations, I kept
>getting the same error as above.

Did you try to set "Enable Disconnection" to NO.
(It's in the boot-up menu of the adaptic)

Ciao
        Soenke

NexGen 586MB - Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSIHA problem

Post by BThompso » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I just recently upgraded from a i486sx2/66 to a NexGen 586/90
motherboard.
>I'm continuing to use my memory, I/O boards and the like.  The VLB boards
are
>a 1MB ET4000/W32i video card and an Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSI-2 Fast

adapter.

NexGen

>DOS, Windows 95, and OS/2 installed and ran perfectly with the new
>motherboard.  But when I went to reinstall Linux I got the following

screen

    [...]

I've got an AMD 486Dx4/100. My motherboard (I have no idea what brand...)
can run the VLB backplane at either 50MHz or 33MHz. I've also got an
Adaptec AHA-2842VLB card. What I found was that if I run the backplane at
33Mhz everything works fine. If I run the backplane at 50MHz then the
Adaptec card gets really confused.

If you can, I'd suggest backing off you VLB bus to 33MHz and see if that
helps.

        Cheers,
        Bruce.

Post by Squeeg » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

>>I just recently upgraded from a i486sx2/66 to a NexGen 586/90 motherboard.
>>I'm continuing to use my memory, I/O boards and the like.  The VLB boards are
>>a 1MB ET4000/W32i video card and an Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSI-2 Fast adapter.

>>DOS, Windows installed and ran perfectly with the new
>>motherboard.  But when I went to reinstall Linux I got the following screen at
>>the initilization of the SCSI host:

>>> aha274x: extended translation disabled
>>> AHA284x AT SLOT 1:
>>> irq 11
>>> bus release time 40 bclks
>>> SCSI CHANNEL A:
>>>     scsi id 7
>>>     scsi bus parity check enabled
>>>     scsi selection timeout 256 ms
>>>     scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
>>> No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it.
>>> Sorry.
>>> scsi 0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x (EISA/VL-bus -> Fast SCSI) 1.28/1.11/1.29
>>> scsi : 1 host
>>> aha274x: target 0 now synchronous at 10.0 Mb/s
>>> aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>>> scsi : aborting command due to timeout pid 0, scsi0, id 0, lun 0 0x00
>>> 00 00 00
>>> 00 00
>>> aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>>> aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)

>>I tried installing with both Slackware v2.2.0 (kernel 1.2.1) and v2.3.0
>>(kernel v1.2.8) as well as with an older kernel v1.1.68 boot disk I created a
>>long time ago.  Each time I got the same screen ...

the above story is the same for me I have a nexgen 586 p-90 with a adaptec 2842 scsi
card and I am getting the same error.  Anyone out there fix this problem yet?  or am
I out of luck running linux?

Post by Squeeg » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>: I just recently upgraded from a i486sx2/66 to a NexGen 586/90 motherboard.
>: I'm continuing to use my memory, I/O boards and the like.  The VLB boards are
>: a 1MB ET4000/W32i video card and an Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSI-2 Fast adapter.

>: DOS, Windows 95, and OS/2 installed and ran perfectly with the new
>: motherboard.  But when I went to reinstall Linux I got the following screen at
>: the initilization of the SCSI host:

>: > aha274x: extended translation disabled
>: > AHA284x AT SLOT 1:
>: > irq 11
>: > bus release time 40 bclks
>: > SCSI CHANNEL A:
>: >     scsi id 7
>: >     scsi bus parity check enabled
>: >     scsi selection timeout 256 ms
>: >     scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
>: > No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it.
>: > Sorry.
>: > scsi 0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x (EISA/VL-bus -> Fast SCSI) 1.28/1.11/1.29
>: > scsi : 1 host
>: > aha274x: target 0 now synchronous at 10.0 Mb/s
>: > aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>: > scsi : aborting command due to timeout pid 0, scsi0, id 0, lun 0 0x00
>: > 00 00 00
>: > 00 00
>: > aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)
>: > aha274x warning: no command for scb (cmdcmplt)

>: I tried installing with both Slackware v2.2.0 (kernel 1.2.1) and v2.3.0
>: (kernel v1.2.8) as well as with an older kernel v1.1.68 boot disk I created a
>: long time ago.  Each time I got the same screen ...

>: Adaptec (who, of course, continues NOT to support Linux) suggested that I
>: might try slowing the VLB down to 33MHz, adding some VLB read/write wait
>: states, and DMA wait states.  After hours of countless combinations, I kept
>: getting the same error as above.

>: THUS, I feel there is only one reason left why I am having this problem:

>: - The NexGen 586 is based on the i386 instruction set and therefore Linux may
>: not be booting because of either:

>: 1.  The bootdisk is compiled with i486 instructions that the NexGen cannot
>: handle and I need to get my hands on a bootdisk compiled for i386 processors,
>: or ...

>: 2.  The Linux AHA-2842VLB driver utilizes specific i486 to VLB
>: memory/io/cache/(etc...) instructions that aren't available on a i386-based
>: VLB boards and a new driver may need to be written (not utilizing the
>: i486-enhanced VLB instructions).

>: IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ... ANY AT ALL PLEASE EMAIL ME (EVEN JUST TO POINT
>: ME IN THE DIRECTION OF SOMEONE WHO MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP) ... THANX IN ADVANCE
>: ...

>What scsi devices do you have connected? a harddisk, a harddisk and a cdrom
>or only a cdrom?? What I know is that with some scsi cards only the bios
>is properly enabled when a harddisk is attached..(my experience with
>a aha2940) apparently the driver needs the bios enabled

both a cdrom and a hard drive.  the bios is loading at bootup

Quote:

>No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it.

>This message is from pcibios_present() in the eata_dma driver...
>If you don't have PCI disable it..

how do you disable it?

Post by Andrew Miles » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> NexGen

> >DOS, Windows 95, and OS/2 installed and ran perfectly with the new
> >motherboard.  But when I went to reinstall Linux I got the following
> screen
> If you can, I'd suggest backing off you VLB bus to 33MHz and see if that
> helps.

Great idea, considering the VLB specification is so badly abused:
  0 slots at 50 Mhz (motherboard video only)
  1 slot  at 40 Mhz (most VLB boards are not guaranteed to work)
  2 slots at 33 Mhz
  3 slots at 25 Mhz

VLB is a true local bus, with no buffering on the signals. The design of
the motherboard greatly affects the bus, so it is possible to use more
slots on a good motherboard (or fewer on a piece of junk).

Some motherboards also support VLB wait-states to help.

The PCI bus is a "mezanine", or buffered local bus, and is not limited in
the number of slots by bus speed.

-- Andrew E. Mileski --

Dark Matter Technologies Inc. - Ottawa Ontario, Canada!

NexGen 586MB - Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSIHA problem

Post by roo » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: > NexGen

: > >
[...]

: -------------------------------------------------------
: Dark Matter Technologies Inc. - Ottawa Ontario, Canada!

I just installed my Nx586-90, and I have had really no problems with it
execept for the lack of a math coproccessor.  I have a Caching VLB
controller, that opperates much like a SCSI controller, with its own bios
and all.  It reports that my VLB is running at 50mhz, which luckily my
card is supposed to be able to run at, but I know that many VLB cards
have trouble handeling speed over 33mhz.  There is a jumper on the
motherboard (JP 4-2) that controlls the VLB speed, there is also
a setting under the bios Advanced NxVL setup that effects the
vlb wait states. You might try messing with these to try and slow
it down.
-David Wright

NexGen 586MB - Adaptec AHA-2842VLB SCSIHA problem

Post by robo » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

To disable the message recompile a kernel without pci support:)

--
Have Fun!
Robert A. Ober

etc................
Oh Yea, Crummy Web page at http://robob.vnet.net or http://166.82.193.14

1. problem with the Adaptec AHA-2940UW ProproProblem with the Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro

Hi!

Mandrake 6 - Venus Installation ...

My system is PII 400, 256 RAM, 7.6 GB UDMA33 HDD (hda1 = 5.8GB /, hda2 =

1 GB /home, hda3 = 126MB Swap), Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 12X/4X CD-R,
Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro SCSI Controller, 3C905 10/100TX Netcard, Creative

PCI 64 Soundcard, Asuscom ISDN-Card ...

I'm having a slight problem with the Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro host
adapter.
The boot disk (from Mandrake 6) detects the adapter and then the two
drives no problem and installs everything just fine ...

when the system reboots and probes for SCSI adapters, it tries to load
the aic7xxx module with the following result:

scsi : 0 hosts
/lib/aic7xxx.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I've tried both the module and kernel with aic7xxx with the same
effect....
I have read SCSI-Howto and SCSI Programming HOWTO wich could not solve
my problem ...

Is there some commands I have to pass to the kernel on boot like that
linear setting it offers in installation (which I didn't set)? This is
the first
Linux installation on an SCSI system I'm making so I'm somewhat in the
dark.

Markusi!

[...]

2. tracker 4.3 under 1.1.50

3. Adaptec 2842vlb problem

4. Joystick module

5. AHA 2842VLB SCSI

6. E-mail address for Yggdrasil please

7. Adaptec 2842VLB SCSI card causing kernel panic

8. MS-Word files on Linux

9. SCO: Adaptec 2842VLB are drivers available ?

10. READ THIS IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT DRIVERS FOR THE ADAPTEC 2842VLB

11. Adaptec AHA-1522A and AHA-2940 SCSI adapters well supported?

12. Does linux support Adaptec AHA-2742 or AHA-2842?

13. Adaptec AHA-151X/AHA-152X