cdrom

Post by guy » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i would like to play music on my cdrom. The icon is on the desktop but
when i insert the cd nothing happens.
then i clisk on the icon and a message that tell me to mount the cdrom
appears. i opened a terminal but i don"t know the command i am new to
linux i was able to install it without problems but i am stumbling a
little with the administration. (i am using the caldera open linux)
please help!
thank you.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

cdrom

Post by Patrici » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i would like to play music on my cdrom. The icon is on the desktop but
> when i insert the cd nothing happens.
> then i clisk on the icon and a message that tell me to mount the cdrom
> appears. i opened a terminal but i don"t know the command i am new to
> linux i was able to install it without problems but i am stumbling a
> little with the administration. (i am using the caldera open linux)
> please help!
> thank you.

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

Guy
as root
make a directory /mnt/cdrom  (mkdir /mnt/cdrom)
type mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to mount the cdrom)
type cd /mnt/cdrom
type ls
type umount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to unmount the cdrom)
--
HTH :-)
Patricia

http://www.linuxfan.com/~beginners_linux

Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15

  7:28am  up 1 day, 12:41,  2 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.29, 1.29

cdrom

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> i would like to play music on my cdrom. The icon is on the desktop but
>> when i insert the cd nothing happens.
>> then i clisk on the icon and a message that tell me to mount the cdrom
>> appears. i opened a terminal but i don"t know the command i am new to
>> linux i was able to install it without problems but i am stumbling a
>> little with the administration. (i am using the caldera open linux)
>> please help!
>> thank you.

>>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
>Guy
>as root
>make a directory /mnt/cdrom  (mkdir /mnt/cdrom)
>type mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to mount the cdrom)
>type cd /mnt/cdrom
>type ls
>type umount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to unmount the cdrom)

and then, don't try to use any of that for audio CDs.
The mount/umount setup is for data CDs (CD-ROM).

If you want to listen to an audio CD, go to freshmeat
(http://www.freshmeat.net/) or Linuxburg (http://www.linuxburg.com/)
and pick up...
1) a CD player application (i use Workman, but there are others), and
2) an audio mixer application (i use smix, but also have tkmix installed)

To play an audio CD,

1) start the CD player application
2) put the audio CD into the CDROM drive (_don't_ 'mount' it)
3) use the CD player application's controls to start the CD playing
4) (optional) start the audio mixer application, and adjust the volume
   and balance of the resulting audio stream using the controls provided

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

cdrom

Post by HillBo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >> i would like to play music on my cdrom. The icon is on the desktop but
> >> when i insert the cd nothing happens.
> >> then i clisk on the icon and a message that tell me to mount the cdrom
> >> appears. i opened a terminal but i don"t know the command i am new to
> >> linux i was able to install it without problems but i am stumbling a
> >> little with the administration. (i am using the caldera open linux)
> >> please help!
> >> thank you.

> >>                     http://www.searchlinux.com
> >Guy
> >as root
> >make a directory /mnt/cdrom  (mkdir /mnt/cdrom)
> >type mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to mount the cdrom)
> >type cd /mnt/cdrom
> >type ls
> >type umount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to unmount the cdrom)

> and then, don't try to use any of that for audio CDs.
> The mount/umount setup is for data CDs (CD-ROM).

> If you want to listen to an audio CD, go to freshmeat
> (http://www.freshmeat.net/) or Linuxburg (http://www.linuxburg.com/)
> and pick up...
> 1) a CD player application (i use Workman, but there are others), and
> 2) an audio mixer application (i use smix, but also have tkmix installed)

> To play an audio CD,

> 1) start the CD player application
> 2) put the audio CD into the CDROM drive (_don't_ 'mount' it)
> 3) use the CD player application's controls to start the CD playing
> 4) (optional) start the audio mixer application, and adjust the volume
>    and balance of the resulting audio stream using the controls provided

> Lew Pitcher
> System Consultant
> Toronto Dominion Financial Group

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

Hello, I have a similar problem. My system is running RH 6.1 which I upgraded from 6.0.
After the upgrade, i could not mount data or audio CDs. I finally fixed the data CD
problem by editing /etc/fstab and inserting a CD device /dev/hdc.  Data CDs now mount
correctly but I still cannot play audio CDs. Both the Gnome & KDE CD players don't work.
I have followed the CD-ROM HowTo to the letter with no success.  I'm afraid that the
only solution is to completely start over and re-install Linux from scratch which would
cause me to lose everything.  Any ideas?

cdrom

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

see below...

>> >Guy
>> >as root
>> >make a directory /mnt/cdrom  (mkdir /mnt/cdrom)
>> >type mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to mount the cdrom)
>> >type cd /mnt/cdrom
>> >type ls
>> >type umount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (to unmount the cdrom)

>> and then, don't try to use any of that for audio CDs.
>> The mount/umount setup is for data CDs (CD-ROM).

>> If you want to listen to an audio CD, go to freshmeat
>> (http://www.freshmeat.net/) or Linuxburg (http://www.linuxburg.com/)
>> and pick up...
>> 1) a CD player application (i use Workman, but there are others), and
>> 2) an audio mixer application (i use smix, but also have tkmix installed)

>> To play an audio CD,

>> 1) start the CD player application
>> 2) put the audio CD into the CDROM drive (_don't_ 'mount' it)
>> 3) use the CD player application's controls to start the CD playing
>> 4) (optional) start the audio mixer application, and adjust the volume
>>    and balance of the resulting audio stream using the controls provided

>> Lew Pitcher
>> System Consultant
>> Toronto Dominion Financial Group

>> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

>Hello, I have a similar problem. My system is running RH 6.1 which I upgraded from 6.0.
>After the upgrade, i could not mount data or audio CDs. I finally fixed the data CD
>problem by editing /etc/fstab and inserting a CD device /dev/hdc.  Data CDs now mount
>correctly but I still cannot play audio CDs. Both the Gnome & KDE CD players don't work.
>I have followed the CD-ROM HowTo to the letter with no success.  I'm afraid that the
>only solution is to completely start over and re-install Linux from scratch which would
>cause me to lose everything.  Any ideas?

Do you have audio support compiled into the kernel or installed as a kernel module?

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

cdrom

Post by Gala Gran » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have been having the same problem, so I followed the advice below, but I
got the message,
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

I am new to linux, and have no idea what this means.  I have not yet managed
to access the cdrom drive.

Gala Grant

> [...]

upgraded from 6.0.
> >After the upgrade, i could not mount data or audio CDs. I finally fixed
the data CD
> >problem by editing /etc/fstab and inserting a CD device /dev/hdc.  Data
CDs now mount
> >correctly but I still cannot play audio CDs. Both the Gnome & KDE CD
players don't work.
> >I have followed the CD-ROM HowTo to the letter with no success.  I'm
afraid that the
> >only solution is to completely start over and re-install Linux from
scratch which would
> >cause me to lose everything.  Any ideas?

> Do you have audio support compiled into the kernel or installed as a
kernel module?

> Lew Pitcher
> System Consultant
> Toronto Dominion Financial Group

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

Sound (audio) support is installed as a kernel module. This appears to be a
problem with Red Hat's upgrade process from 6.0 to 6.1. I've never been able
to get this card to play midi at all and now it doesn't play audio CDs. Red
Hat's support for registered users is worse than Microsoft's.  It truly
sucks.

1. ATAPI cdrom cdda not supported for some cdrom drive?

TAPI cdrom cdda not supported for some cdrom drive?

Hi, There,
  I have a ATAPI IDE cdrom that I wish to get the
cdda2wav working. ont the same machine, I have a
scsi cdrom and I was able to get the data from it.
but I have difficulty extracting data from the
IDE cdrom. I have linux 2.0.33 kernel and have the
IDE cdrom driver compiled and I also have the
ssound blaster driver compiled. I am able to mount
data cdrom on the ide cdrom drive. but can't extract audio data
from it. I tried to use:
cdda2wav -D /dev/cdrom temp.wav
for the ide atapi cdrom and it complained that the cdrom
or driver doesn't support cdda. can anybody tell me the
problem ? I tried to figure out how to put the cdda support into
the driver but can't see the option in the driver feature list.
(2.0.33 kernel), or simply my cdrom hardware is to be blamed ?
can any body tell me what to do ?
Jinsong

2. FS:Toshiba4800CT@$404

3. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

4. D-Link Card

5. HELP: installing CDROM Linux on non-CDROM notebook

6. setreuid on 4.1.3 and port to Solaris

7. only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

8. Linuxconf

9. PCMCIA CDROM unable to identify cdrom

10. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

11. Problem with mounting CDROM on a SCSI CDROM drive

12. Help with mounting Mitsumi FX001DE CDROM [D [D [D [D [DIDE CDROM.

13. CDROM Problem: "mount point /cdrom does not exist"