Prompt problems

Post by DarVest » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

New to Linux, running Slackware v.3.5...installed ok, but according to the book
I bought with the cd...I should get a prompt...bash# password....changing
password for root...enter the new password...instead, I get a prompt
Darkstar~1.  I would appreciate any help.Thanks

Prompt problems

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> New to Linux, running Slackware v.3.5...installed ok, but according to the book
> I bought with the cd...I should get a prompt...bash# password....changing
> password for root...enter the new password...instead, I get a prompt
> Darkstar~1.

I think that the prompt the book is indicating is something like
bash#
and you are supposed to invoke the password-changing program by
typing "passwd".

You are seeing a prompt something like
Darkstar%
so just type "passwd" yourself.  (I assume that you are starting
out as the root user.)

--

1. prompt problem (wierd)

On my Linux box at home, and my school account (unix) and my work
account (unix, I have used the following lines to give me a 2 level
prompt that looks like this:

/home/crobinso
a21cs05=>

The lines I used are in the .cshrc for tcsh and read like this:

set prompt="${cwd}\
${myhost}=> "

As I said, that works on 3 or 4 machines, and linux 1.2.11 and 1.0.9.

It does not work on Linux 1.2.8.  Any ideas why?

Also, (more wierdness) it seemed to work until I used the sz command
from the new account.  SZ gaged on a binary file, crashed hard, and
since then, the prompt hasn't been the same.  sz doesn't work either,
but I don't have root access to find out what is going on.  Not sure I
could anyway...

Ideas-?

Thanks,

2. DHCP and router dail-up problem

3. IT scripts, DOS from SCO boot prompt problem

4. How do you configure bpf0 ?

5. ksh prompt problem

6. how 2 copy a file

7. Delayed prompt problem

8. HELP with TCP/IP Install on SCO UNIX! (urgent)

9. Path in Prompt Problem

10. Login prompt problem

11. BASH prompt problem

12. .bashrc prompt problem..