Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

Post by Ian » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:18:40



Hi, I have read about that linux use bitmap fonts.
thats why when i enlarge them they look SO UGLY !
iam using Linux mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.0
Is there a way to install truetype fonts or similar "vector fonts"

Thanks for reading this

 
 
 

Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

Post by Steve Marti » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:14:36



> Hi, I have read about that linux use bitmap fonts.
> thats why when i enlarge them they look SO UGLY !
> iam using Linux mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.0
> Is there a way to install truetype fonts or similar "vector fonts"

Linux comes with two such font sets, "Type 1" (aka Adobe)
and "Speedo". These font sets should be in the directories
"Type1" and "Speedo" under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

To use them, you need to do two things:

  (1) Make sure the directories to these fonts are listed
      in the "Files" section of your XF86Config file. They're
      shown with the keyword "FontPath" beside each; pay
      attention that you don't put a trailing slash after the
      path for each. Put entries for these two directories
      at or near the top of the "FontPath" section.

  (2) The X server needs to know how to handle the fonts in
      these directories. To accomplish this, you must tell
      the server to load the proper modules (*X Server* modules,
      not to be confused with *kernel* modules) to be able
      to read these fonts. Once again in your XF86Config file,
      in the "Modules" section, you need to include entries
      that say (note capitalization):

          Load "speedo"

      and

          Load "type1"

Hope this helps.

 
 
 

Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

Post by Eric » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:58:52




> > Hi, I have read about that linux use bitmap fonts.
> > thats why when i enlarge them they look SO UGLY !
> > iam using Linux mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.0
> > Is there a way to install truetype fonts or similar "vector fonts"

> Linux comes with two such font sets, "Type 1" (aka Adobe)
> and "Speedo". These font sets should be in the directories
> "Type1" and "Speedo" under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

> To use them, you need to do two things:

>   (1) Make sure the directories to these fonts are listed
>       in the "Files" section of your XF86Config file. They're
>       shown with the keyword "FontPath" beside each; pay
>       attention that you don't put a trailing slash after the
>       path for each. Put entries for these two directories
>       at or near the top of the "FontPath" section.

>   (2) The X server needs to know how to handle the fonts in
>       these directories. To accomplish this, you must tell
>       the server to load the proper modules (*X Server* modules,
>       not to be confused with *kernel* modules) to be able
>       to read these fonts. Once again in your XF86Config file,
>       in the "Modules" section, you need to include entries
>       that say (note capitalization):

>           Load "speedo"

>       and

>           Load "type1"

And you can use the ttf fonts from your windows distribution too.

Eric

 
 
 

Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

Post by Steve Marti » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:29:52



> > > Is there a way to install truetype fonts or similar "vector fonts"
> > Linux comes with two such font sets, "Type 1" (aka Adobe)
> > and "Speedo". These font sets should be in the directories
> > "Type1" and "Speedo" under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.
> And you can use the ttf fonts from your windows distribution too.

I had heard or read that somewhere, but I've never seen instructions
on how to set that up, so I didn't include that in my response. Can
you point us to some RTFM material on how that works?
 
 
 

Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

Post by me » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:37:03




> Hi group,

> I am running RH 7.0, XFree86 4.0.1-1, and the bitmapped fonts suck.  I
> have done as Steve Martin suggested, editing both the XF86Config-4 and
> XF86Config files.  However I see no change in the bitmapped fonts used
> in--for example--KMail or others (I did reboot).

> What else do I need to do?




>> > Hi, I have read about that linux use bitmap fonts. thats why when i
>> > enlarge them they look SO UGLY ! iam using Linux mandrake 7.2 with
>> > KDE 2.0 Is there a way to install truetype fonts or similar "vector
>> > fonts"

>> Linux comes with two such font sets, "Type 1" (aka Adobe) and "Speedo".
>> These font sets should be in the directories
>> "Type1" and "Speedo" under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

>> To use them, you need to do two things:

>>   (1) Make sure the directories to these fonts are listed
>>       in the "Files" section of your XF86Config file. They're shown
>>       with the keyword "FontPath" beside each; pay attention that you
>>       don't put a trailing slash after the path for each. Put entries
>>       for these two directories at or near the top of the "FontPath"
>>       section.

>>   (2) The X server needs to know how to handle the fonts in
>>       these directories. To accomplish this, you must tell the server
>>       to load the proper modules (*X Server* modules, not to be
>>       confused with *kernel* modules) to be able to read these fonts.
>>       Once again in your XF86Config file, in the "Modules" section, you
>>       need to include entries that say (note capitalization):

>>           Load "speedo"

>>       and

>>           Load "type1"

>> Hope this helps.

What is the point of creating different newsgroups if punks are going to
flood them with cross-posts?

Anywho.. do you know 'search engines'?  I tried google: 'truetype fonts
linux' ... one of the results was 'xfstt' .. installed it .. and it does
wonders..