Linux died...problems, problems, problems....

Linux died...problems, problems, problems....

Post by j.. » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

My Linux system (Redhat 4.1 on a 486DX/100 -w- 16Mb) died yesterday. It was
working just fine...then I shut it down and turned it off. When it came back
up, the partition table was spooged (read: the drive was unrecoverable). So, I
spent a couple of hours re-installing Linux. The system is now back up, but
only with one of the default kernels. This is where things get wierd...I can't
compile a valid kernel image. I've tried both the base 1.x.x kernel that comes
with Redhat, and the 2.0.30 kernel. The compilation runs to completion as if
nothing is wrong, but when I try to use the kernel that results, my system
hangs. I've tried switching back to 386 optomizations and turning
optomizations off and even reconfiguring so that I have the bare minimum
capabilities compiled in. No go in any case. I've checked the hardware with
every test program (both proprietary and non-proprietary) that I could get my
hands on, and checked with a couple of other linux users around here, but I
can't find a cause. Any ideas??? At this point I'm about ready to break out
the prayer books and 4-leaf clovers.

Linux died...problems, problems, problems....

Post by Hugh McCur » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> My Linux system (Redhat 4.1 on a 486DX/100 -w- 16Mb) died yesterday. It was
> working just fine...then I shut it down and turned it off. When it came back
> up, the partition table was spooged (read: the drive was unrecoverable). So, I
> spent a couple of hours re-installing Linux. The system is now back up, but
> only with one of the default kernels. This is where things get wierd...I can't
> compile a valid kernel image. I've tried both the base 1.x.x kernel that comes
> with Redhat, and the 2.0.30 kernel. The compilation runs to completion as if
> nothing is wrong, but when I try to use the kernel that results, my system
> hangs. I've tried switching back to 386 optomizations and turning
> optomizations off and even reconfiguring so that I have the bare minimum
> capabilities compiled in. No go in any case. I've checked the hardware with
> every test program (both proprietary and non-proprietary) that I could get my
> hands on, and checked with a couple of other linux users around here, but I
> can't find a cause. Any ideas??? At this point I'm about ready to break out
> the prayer books and 4-leaf clovers.

Where/when does it hang?  What are the last few messages on the screen before
it stops?

I would also try compiling a kernel on one of your friend's computers and
then trying to boot that kernel on your computer.  Perhaps a boot floppy.
See what happens.
--
Hugh McCurdy

1. Is there a fix for problem w vi sessions not dying when parent dies?

(AIX 3.2 IBM Risc-System 6000/530)

Is there a fix for the problem whereby a vi session will continue after it's
parent process (usually a telnet session) is abnormally terminated.  In our
vast multi-user environment this problem is driving me crazy.  One person
will close his xterm window on our machine without exiting vi.  The vi
process continues.  The next person who opens a telnet session to our
machine inherits the old vi process except that he can't send any input to
it because the csh process which also has the /dev/pty intercepts too much
of the input.  Users have to come to me (the system administrator) to search
for the offending vi process, and kill it.

I called IBM on this -- they didn't have anything to fix this problem for
AIX 3.2.  Has anyone else heard differently?  Is there a way to scan the
process tables for vi sessions that no longer have parent /dev/pty's and
kill them (as in a cron task)?

Any help or comments on this frustrating AIX bug would be appreciated.

Thanks.

  Ntl Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO 80307-1000

2. Mouse problems with slackware 1.1.1

3. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...

4. SIIG SCSI Pro

5. Linux Problems Problems Problems ... DNS, HD, X Windows

7. Apache/Linux problem server dies/zombie proceess

8. acculogic (appian ADI2 chipset) vl/ide?

9. nfsd: Problem with corrupt files and dying rpc.nfsd with Redhat Linux 5.1 + Solaris 2.5

10. Problems with linux dying

11. Linux network problem (randomly dies)... can anyone help?

12. Apache/Linux Problem Server dies/zombie process

13. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!