how to sync system clock to CMOS clock

Post by Dean Tra » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My turn on and off my computer all the time :) I wonder how I would
sync my system clock (off when computer is off) to my CMOS clock
(always on)

Thanks

Dean

Post by anon5.. » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

% My turn on and off my computer all the time :) I wonder how I would
% sync my system clock (off when computer is off) to my CMOS clock
% (always on)

I don't understand the turning on and off of the PC all the time.  I
mean that is one of the great things about Linux, I never have to shut
it down.

Anyway your answer is clock -s to set system time to cmos clock.  For
more options see the man page on clock.

--

To send personal E-mail delete blackhole.

Post by Dean Tra » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> % My turn on and off my computer all the time :) I wonder how I would
> % sync my system clock (off when computer is off) to my CMOS clock
> % (always on)

> I don't understand the turning on and off of the PC all the time.  I
> mean that is one of the great things about Linux, I never have to shut
> it down.

> Anyway your answer is clock -s to set system time to cmos clock.  For
> more options see the man page on clock.

> --

> To send personal E-mail delete blackhole.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, just try 'clock -s' and it gets the right time and
date.

I also just find out about  'adjtimex' and try to digest its man page. Is
it possible
to sync the system clock to CMOS clock with this commands also? According

to the man page, it is the command for my application, but it seems awful
complex
when 'clock -s' would do the job.

The reason I turn on and off the computer is that I don't want to waste
electricity :)

I wonder whether the Linux put the computer in low power mode (standby
mode) to
save electricity, or there are any command to help me to save $$ so I
don't have to
shutdown my computer at night.

Thanks for reply

Dean

1. system clock & cmos clock

hi everybody,

what's the relation between the system clock and the cmos clock when no
'clock -[u]a' is issued?

yesterday I followed the instructions on 'man clock'; today I checked
the system time and it was 00:26s ahead; then I issued a 'clock -s' and
after that the system clock was 00:03s behind!

I understand I must set the first parameter in /etc/adjtime to 3 and set
/etc/crontab to run 'clock -ua' regularly; thats fine!

the problem is: if cron runs 'clock -ua' *ONCE* a day I'll have a 00:29s
"gap" that could confuse programs like make; do I have to run 'clock
-ua' every 10 minutes? is there a way to tune the system clock to be
closer to the cmos clock so that 'clock -au' won't cause such a huge
gap?

TIA!

Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\

2. Server suddenly crashes / freezes

3. Bad CMOS clock or bad `clock -a'?

4. i2c-elektor (2.5.43) non-fatal error: unresolved symbol cli, sti

5. Sync CMOS clock to NIST?

6. source for script command??

7. Want to have an atomic clock sync your Linux box clock ?

8. Werid 5.0.5 Problem

9. system clock/bios clock setting

10. How do it synchronize my system clock with an atomic clock ?

11. System clock vs some other clock???

12. hwclock (system clock to hardware clock)???

13. Red Hat 6.0 System Clock vs. Hardware Clock