Problem Installing Boot Loader With Redhat Four

Problem Installing Boot Loader With Redhat Four

Post by Ryan » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have a problem installing Redhat.  I am running an Adaptec 1542 with 2
scsi cdroms and a Micropolis 3gig scsi hard drive.  I can create the linux
partitions fine and install all of the files.  Then it gets to the final
step "Installing Bootloader" and fails.  It says I can try again, but I can
not install it.  I've tried installing it to the Master Boot Record, to the
first sector of the partition, and to a floppy, but none will work, it
doesn't even seem like it's attempting it.

This is consistent, I've tried three times.

After all of this, I reboot, and in DOS my partition table is corrupted.  I
can repair it with Nortons, and then my linux partition no longer exists.

It's a loop.  Make linux partition, install it, fail on bootloader
installation, reboot, partition table corrupted.  As soon as I fix it, back
to the beginning.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Post by Houman Ghahremanl » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: I have a problem installing Redhat.  I am running an Adaptec 1542 with 2
: scsi cdroms and a Micropolis 3gig scsi hard drive.  I can create the linux
: partitions fine and install all of the files.  Then it gets to the final
: step "Installing Bootloader" and fails.  It says I can try again, but I can
: not install it.  I've tried installing it to the Master Boot Record, to the
: first sector of the partition, and to a floppy, but none will work, it
: doesn't even seem like it's attempting it.

: This is consistent, I've tried three times.

get the new bootdisks...

Houman

Problem Installing Boot Loader With Redhat Four

Post by axtr.. » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> get the new bootdisks...

What's the exact directory path? I downloaded the boot images (boot.img and
supp.img) from /pub/redhat/redhat-4.0/i386/images, but I still had the
same problem; it can't write to the Master Boot Record or the first sector
of the boot partition.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. Is RAID possible on Linuxppc?

3. redhat 4.1 boot loader install

4. xdm CHOOSER HELP !!!

5. Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed

6. xwindows, how do I...

7. [Fwd: Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed]

8. Floppy doesn't detect disk change

9. Install problem - no /boot/loader

10. RH7.2 Install a boot loader after initial install

11. Installing problem - Error writing boot loader?

12. Problem When Installing Boot Loader

13. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please