sndconfig problems :(

Post by bren » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring my sound card (surprise surprise!) and
I've been trying to use the sndconfig program after recompiling the
kernel many times with no success.  Unfortunately, the sndconfig program

keeps giving me modprobe errors.  Are there any other programs like
sndconfig about that I could try or does this error simply mean I need
to upgrade some packages?  Any help would be much appreciated :-)

I have an ES1868 soundcard, red hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.35.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

sndconfig problems :(

Post by bren » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring my sound card (surprise surprise!) and
I've been trying to use the sndconfig program after recompiling the
kernel many times with no success.  Unfortunately, the sndconfig program

keeps giving me modprobe errors.  Are there any other programs like
sndconfig about that I could try or does this error simply mean I need
to upgrade some packages?  Any help would be much appreciated :-)

I have an ES1868 soundcard, red hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.35.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

sndconfig problems :(

Post by Richard Horto » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Wibble.

Whats this doing appearing twice?

My earlier posting to c.l.c appeared twice... also with a couple of
min's delay between posting times according the headers....

Is Usenet going screwy again?

--
---

"In world without fences who needs Gates?"

My opinions - when I have any - are my own and unless stated explicitly
in no way represent
those of my employers, friends, collegues, enemies.

Richard Horton.
Graduate Software Engineer GEC-Easams.
(remove the usual bits to email me).

sndconfig problems :(

Post by Simon Hil » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

There are two unrelated problems here.

1) The RH5.0 sndconfig does indeed crash on the ES 1868 soundcard.  The
"solution" is
to upgrade to RH5.1 and/or? a newer sndconfig. But.....

2) Even when you get the new sndconfig to work, the ES1868 won't, at least
not with the
standard kernel.  I've heard there is a kernel option that might work for
it.

But, I solved the problem by buying a Sound Blaster.

--  Simon Hill

sndconfig problems :(

Post by Rafael Vicent » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm having trouble configuring my sound card (surprise surprise!) and
> I've been trying to use the sndconfig program after recompiling the
> kernel many times with no success.  Unfortunately, the sndconfig program

> keeps giving me modprobe errors.  Are there any other programs like
> sndconfig about that I could try or does this error simply mean I need
> to upgrade some packages?  Any help would be much appreciated :-)

> I have an ES1868 soundcard, red hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.35.

> Thanks in advance,

> Brendan

  I found the following  in this newsgroup. Thank the author, it did it for
me.

==========

First run pnpdump from isapnp-tools to create a /etc/isapnp.conf .
Then you find a free IRQ, IO, DMA and uncomment these.
In the sounddriver you select the same IRQ, IO, DMA.
Then reboot with isapnp somewhere in your rc script.
Do a "modprobe sound trace_init=1" to see if the sound driver is loaded.
Then check /dev/sndstat

It should look like this, but YMMV.

/etc/isapnp.conf:
(CONFIGURE CTL0070/-1 (LD 0
(INT 0 (IRQ 7 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0300))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
(ACT Y)
))

Linux .config

CONFIG_SOUND=m
# CONFIG_PAS is not set
CONFIG_SB=y
CONFIG_ADLIB=y
# CONFIG_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_UART6850 is not set
# CONFIG_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_GUS16 is not set
# CONFIG_GUSMAX is not set
# CONFIG_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_MAUI is not set
CONFIG_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_MIDI=y
CONFIG_YM3812=y
SBC_BASE=220
SBC_IRQ=7
SBC_DMA=1
SB_DMA2=5
SB_MPU_BASE=0300
SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536
# CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND is not set

root:~# modprobe sound trace_init=1
Sound initialization started
<Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 7 dma 1,5
<Sound Blaster 16> at 0x300 irq 7 dma 0
<Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
Sound initialization complete
root:~#

root:~# cat /proc/dma
 1: Sound Blaster8
 4: cascade
 5: Sound Blaster16

root:~# cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : sound blaster
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0300-0303 : SB MIDI
0388-038b : OPL3/OPL2
03c0-03df : vga+
03e8-03ef : serial(set)
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
b800-b87f : ncr53c7,8xx
d000-d01f : eth0
d800-d807 : IDE DMA
d808-d80f : IDE DMA

root:~# cat /proc/interrupts
 0:     106679   timer
 1:       3558   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 4:       4919 + serial
 7:          4   sound blaster
10:         12 + 53c7,8xx
12:      70243   eth0
13:          1   math error
14:       7387 + ide0

root:~# cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Thu Sep 24 13:10:12 MET DST 1998 root,
Linux p2cw 2.0.35 #2 Thu Sep 10 01:48:33 MET DST 1998 i686 unknown)
Kernel: Linux p2cw 2.0.35 #2 Thu Sep 10 01:48:33 MET DST 1998 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1,5
SB MPU-401 at 0x300 irq 7 drq 0
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

sndconfig problems :(

Post by Terry Mathew » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've got a Vibra 16 (not PNP, built into my laptop) and can't get it to
work. I get the same error everyone else gets with sndconfig about not being
able to run ModProbe. I don't know much about linux commands, so if someone
could tell me how to fix sndconfig it would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

>I have just purchased a Vibra 16Cpnp for my box and have Redhat 5.1
>installed. I am also having trouble getting sndconfig to work. It keeps
>giving me probe errors.

>Got any suggestions for me Simon?

>Thanks

>Garou

>>There are two unrelated problems here.

>>1) The RH5.0 sndconfig does indeed crash on the ES 1868 soundcard.  The
>>"solution" is
>>to upgrade to RH5.1 and/or? a newer sndconfig. But.....

>>2) Even when you get the new sndconfig to work, the ES1868 won't, at least
>>not with the
>>standard kernel.  I've heard there is a kernel option that might work for
>>it.

>>But, I solved the problem by buying a Sound Blaster.

>>--  Simon Hill

sndconfig problems :(

Post by Garo » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have just purchased a Vibra 16Cpnp for my box and have Redhat 5.1
installed. I am also having trouble getting sndconfig to work. It keeps
giving me probe errors.

Got any suggestions for me Simon?

Thanks

Garou

>There are two unrelated problems here.

>1) The RH5.0 sndconfig does indeed crash on the ES 1868 soundcard.  The
>"solution" is
>to upgrade to RH5.1 and/or? a newer sndconfig. But.....

>2) Even when you get the new sndconfig to work, the ES1868 won't, at least
>not with the
>standard kernel.  I've heard there is a kernel option that might work for
>it.

>But, I solved the problem by buying a Sound Blaster.

>--  Simon Hill

sndconfig problems :(

Post by John & Sara Shepa » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I've got a Vibra 16 (not PNP, built into my laptop) and can't get it to
>work. I get the same error everyone else gets with sndconfig about not being
>able to run ModProbe. I don't know much about linux commands, so if someone
>could tell me how to fix sndconfig it would be greatly appreciated.

>Terry

>>I have just purchased a Vibra 16Cpnp for my box and have Redhat 5.1
>>installed. I am also having trouble getting sndconfig to work. It keeps
>>giving me probe errors.

I'm working on the same problem with a Soundblaster 16pnp.  It looks to me
like sndconfig is creating the files correctly, but modprobe can't find a
proper modules.dep file.  So far I've found that rc.sysinit is deleting
/lib/modules/preferred/modules.dep and replacing it with a modules.dep of 0
bytes at bootup.

I've gotten my sound to partially work manually by 'depmod -a 2.0.35' (my
kernel version number) and 'modprobe -a sound'.  Watch the thread "new kernel
- now no sound" in linux.redhat.misc for further developments.  Now I have to
learn bash script programming.....

--------------
Humans are not rational animals.  They're rationalizing animals.

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. "no screens found" error when starting X

3. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

4. Connecting Win95 to Linux

5. inetd dies :(:(

6. StarOffice Troubles

7. AWE32/64 sndconfig/synth0 problem

8. Traffic Shaping info?

9. Soundblaster 16 sndconfig Problem

10. problem using sndconfig (on RedHat)

11. sndconfig problems

12. Montego and sndconfig problems with 'make'

13. sndconfig problems