Allowing root to rsh

Post by Larry Pyea » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I put all the ttyps in /etc/securetty and root can now rsh in.
However, the first time it asks for the password, the login
fails.  Then it asks for the username and password again, like
this:

Password:
login: root
Password:
Last login: Thu Feb 12 01:51:08 from cervesa.home-net
You have new mail.

This is on Red Hat, 4.2 and 5.0. Does anyone know how to fix this?

--
Larry D. Pyeatt                     All standard disclaimers apply.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~pyeatt

Allowing root to rsh

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I put all the ttyps in /etc/securetty and root can now rsh in.
> However, the first time it asks for the password, the login
> fails.  Then it asks for the username and password again, like
> this:

> Password:
> login: root
> Password:
> Last login: Thu Feb 12 01:51:08 from cervesa.home-net
> You have new mail.

> This is on Red Hat, 4.2 and 5.0. Does anyone know how to fix this?

/etc/hosts.equiv is ignored for root.

~root/.rhosts may be honoured depending on what version of rlogind you
have and what switches you call it with in inetd.conf.

Allowing root to rsh

Post by Larry Pyea » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I put all the ttyps in /etc/securetty and root can now rsh in.
> However, the first time it asks for the password, the login
> fails.  Then it asks for the username and password again, like
> this:

> Password:
> login: root
> Password:
> Last login: Thu Feb 12 01:51:08 from cervesa.home-net
> You have new mail.

> This is on Red Hat, 4.2 and 5.0. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Someone kindly pointed me to the PAM documentation.  After some
reading, I figured out that the PAM configuration was not right.
I had been looking at the documentation on rlogin and rsh.
Problem solved.  Thanks.

--
Larry D. Pyeatt                     All standard disclaimers apply.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~pyeatt

1. allowing root to rsh in

Given two trusted machines, how can I allow root on one machine to
rsh/rlogin to the other machine without needing to enter a password?
I have added the machine names to both /etc/hosts.equiv and
/etc/hosts.allow, but this does not seem to allow root to rsh in
(other users can, just not root).

As of now, I get a permission denied message, and the following shows
up in the log:

I am using slackware 3.0, with the relevant inetd.conf line being:

shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.rshd

Besides telling me that this is all a bad idea, can someone tell me
what is actually preventing root for rsh'ing in, and how to turn off
this "safeguard"?

Thanks.
--
Stephen Hsieh              Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

2. Tar and Compress

3. How do you allow root to rsh/rcp/rlogin/etc?

4. Do you use KDE on Solaris?

5. allowing root to rsh

6. Locale categories on CDE 1.4 enviorement

7. Allowing root a rsh

8. Terminal emulation to MVbase from console?

9. allowing root of another machine to rsh in ?

10. Any way to allow root rsh/rlogin in RH6.0??

11. Allowing root rsh

12. rsh as root - no password - /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts doesn't work?

13. rsh root but no root remote login...